Thursday, May 7, 2020

Meanies.

Have you ever followed something that you watch on TV on FB?
I tried that. Don't do it.

It's all filled with sad and lonely trolls who give their opinion. No matter the topic they have all the answers and want you to know it. 
99% are mean spirited. 

Season one of a show called Married at First Sight intrigued me. I HATE reality shows so it was a surprise to my husband that I would watch such crap. But I did. I watched I think for a couple of seasons then I said I've had enough of the childish behavior. Rick kept at it. I keep telling him he's too smart for this bullshit but he continues. So apparently he is not too smart for this bullshit. Noted.

I made the mistake of seeing something on Facebook so I went there. I followed the FB posts and got the inside scoop. But then I noticed that everyone had a damn opinion and in all honesty, I just didn't give a shit. But they were mean. I mean to tell you really, really mean. And the people who left these comments appeared to be less than bright and extremely mean spirited. Who shit in your cereal is what I wanted to say to a couple of them but I didn't choose to comment. Instead, I deleted the account. I didn't need the show or the dumb trolls.. My favorite comment was how can these people have sex so quickly? All the commenters sounded like my grandmother. They are married!  If they wish to jump in the sack so be it.  
Honestly, it was like I was reading 1940 comments on a 2019 show.
I had to bail on this group just as I did the show.

As I have said here many times I am an addict of HGTV and DIY television. Once again I saw a Facebook group for a couple of the shows that I really enjoy.
And once again the comments were horrific. I really thought that the above-mentioned show was playing in the dirt so you get those types of people commenting. I surely did not think a DIY show would have the same issues.

I watch a show called Home Town. A nice couple called Erin and Ben remodel homes for people.  I do not watch this show because I like their style. I watch this show because Ben is a real craftsman with wood. I love seeing the work he does. He never ceases to impress me. I learn a lot of things as well. At times he has impressed Rick. If you impress Rick, you're damn good. Then Erin who is an artist. She does lovely work. The paintings she gives each new homeowner is always beautiful. Her skills seem endless to me. (apparently, she got all the talent and this is why I have no talent, she took it all)
The homes are all lovely older homes rich with character and craftsmanship.
They are decorated in a way that brings out the home's original style. They believe in repurposing and keeping to the style of home as it was meant to be.
Now having said that the decorating is lovely, it is just not my style. 
I would no more decorate my home like they do but that's okay. We are all different. I can still see how beautifully done it is. Just because it is not my style does not mean I can't appreciate the work and the visual. I still love this show. It's not about me. It's about how they are revitalizing a town, house by house. 

So imagine my surprise when I went on to the Facebook group about this wonderful show.
Man, people can't just shut up. One wrote how the décor was dreadful. She didn't like the color of the front door. No one asked you is what I wanted to say to this person.
It just went on and on like this. All old biddies who love the doily look or the dated cabinets and small rooms vs open concept all found their way to this site to leave their opinions and while doing it berating the people on the show or another show. For example, "The Madison home was beautiful, too bad the people on show XYZ still have a show because they suck and Ben and Erin are awesome.   What are you in the 4th grade?

So I had to drop off that group too. I wanted the fun of it. To discuss how the hell he got that table in the house and bent that wood to make those curves. (I have now learned how they bend wood and how he did it was even more impressive because he made a makeshift tool because the real deal is 5 figures) I wanted it to be a place of ideas not criticizing and bitching. While that stuff was there it was buried under ugliness. To be very frank, most of the comments on this site seemed to be not too bright older people. It also had a lot of southerners who make me laugh because they think everything originated in the south. (the show is in the south)  I had a painted blue roof on my porch when I was 29. Apparently all these southerners think in the north we aren't bright enough to paint our porch ceilings. I read about 300 of those comments. "They don't have that in the north" 
Or my favorite - Oh we love flowers on the table brought in from the garden one says. The reply was, Oh you too must be southern then because northerners don't bring flowers inside or even have gardens. What the hell do these fools think goes on up north? 

My last straw was a woman who asked if anyone could give her some help and suggestions. She posted a couple of photos of what she and her husband built in their yard.
It was a wooden deck with a pergola.  It was quite large. She was so proud of her husband's first attempt and how well it turned out. 
She was asking for décor help.
So you'd think the first thing someone might say is how nice this was. 
But nope.
Why don't you just paint it and get some drapes and then furniture and the list went on.
One told her to paint all the wood because it looked cheap like this. 
Each comment was taking the air out this poor woman and you could feel it through the computer. She then asked about someone's comments on drapes. A few days later she showed what she had done. She did buy drapes but she stated she couldn't afford outdoor drapes. (they are expensive!  I bought mine in pairs until I got the amount I needed)

She had hung string lights on the pergola, she had a seating area of two chairs and a table with an area rug. She also had a lovely area with a dining table and chairs. It was so nice!
Now was it perfect? No, but who's is? This isn't Nate Berkus's home. 
It's real people who must do things on a budget. Most of the comments made were accurate but did not need to be said. One lady wrote a comment basically telling her she was stupid because these "drapes" she put up are sheers and they will mold and shred with rain and sun.
This woman told her the rug was too small (it was) and that she needed more furniture.
It just went on and on criticizing her. This poor thing was coming to share ideas and instead, she was berated. I am certain that the reason she had what she had was because that is what she could afford. I am certain she knew that rug was too small but it's what she could afford. Why do people do that? Have they not had to weight the money vs. the real need?
A few days later the woman who was so proud of what she and her husband had built wrote  "I was feeling good about all this hard work but I'm not so much anymore. We did the best we could with what we had. I am closing comments."
It was the final straw and I deleted myself from that group too. I wanted to give her a hug. 

I am slowly fading away from Facebook. I have some friends on my FB that I only keep to keep peace in my family. I do not follow them. I don't like them. I don't care for their politics so why would I want to follow them. But heaven forbid I do not allow a cousin or family member to be my friend on FB. I feel like it's so juvenile.  I can't be free there because family can see shit. Just like I can't be totally free here or I get all kinds of grief. (scary this is me not being totally free isn't it? 😉)

Do you follow any tv shows on FB? If not, do not. If so, are you finding the same mean stuff?

12 comments:

Grace said...

The only comments I read on FB are the ones posted to my own page, on which I have 6 friends, one of which is a cat! I can think of a lot of shows where the comments would be really vicious - does "Say Yes to the Dress" have a FB page? Lordy, can you imagine the comments on that!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Grace, while I have never seen the show I can bet the comments would be mean.remember when your mom taught you to not say anything if you can't be nice? They need that on fb.

Mike said...

So much to comment on.

I can't stand reality shows. Enough said.

I can't think of any TV shows that I follow on FB. The main reason is I don't want to know about actors personal lives. If I find out an actor is a goofball, it will mess up the TV show for me.

I used to watch Home Time(?) on PBS all the time. In the first show it would always be - Look at this old stuff. Let's make it look new. Or, look at this new stuff. Let's make it look old. - I just wanted to say, shut up and get to work!

I have a few conservative friends on FB. I used to be independent. I still tell people I'm an Independent that hasn't voted for a republican since Ronald Reagan. (I voted for him because he was going to balance the budget. HA!) One of my conservative friends blocked me on FB because he couldn't stand my posts. (Yes, we still talk. Just not about politics.)

But back to FB. I don't have a lot of FB friends (41). I originally signed up to see what my kids were doing. Most of the 41 are family or blogger friends. But I've got a TON on news and political sites I follow. And I'm in some groups. I follow a Dr. Fauci group. (Do you want an invite?) Two hours or more can disappear when I get on FB.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mike I am joining nothing ever again. I think social distancing and being anti-social are my new way of life. Hey we all made a mistake with Reagan. Ketchup is a vegetable man. I used to be an independent as well. Then in PA they wouldn't allow me to vote in the primaries unless I picked a side. But now I just lean left and so be it. I don't follow TV shows with actors for the same reason. I agree. I used to like the comedian Tim Allen until he opened his misogynistic homophobic trump loving mouth.
Now won't give a cent or a minute of my time. I think they need to shut up and just act. Same with T. Cruise or to all those that have to inject their religion into everything. That is to keep to yourself. Glad it works for you and glad you find comfort but I don't need to hear about it from these actors.

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

I used to follow the American Idol fan site and they got both nasty and good comments but I chalked up it to being mostly young people hanging around. Given what you're saying, apparently adults can't play nice either.

LL Cool Joe said...

I don't have FB but occasionally look at my daughters pages and I'm so pleased I don't have it. It all seems a bit like something you do when you are 17. Also my life is too dull to share with family and friends.

It's.a.crazy.world said...

I love Home Town, for many of the same reasons you like it ~ they re-purpose as often as they can, try to design based on the owner's preferences, etc. Most of all I like that they aren't flipping million dollar homes, those shows just bore me. I don't have a million dollars, why should I worry about the design choices of someone who has that much money?

Ugly comments are just what people seem to do these days. I see it every day. If a FB page is always hateful and ugly, I unfollow them. I think people think they can say what they want because the person they're directing those horrible comments to aren't standing in front of them.

Olga said...

I was over FaceBook during the last election but I still mourn the death of civil discourse.
When my students would get into being rude and putting others down I would get a video of the movie Bambi (I taught middle schoolers) and make them watch the scene where the rabbit mother says, "Thumper, what did your father tell you this morning?' and Thumper would say, "If you can't say something nice, then don't say nothin' at all." Then after that I only had to raise my eyebrows and say, "Thumper?" Harsh (at least that is what we all pretended) but effective!

Mary said...

I’m on Facebook, but mostly friends that are like minded. Those that aren’t, I unfollow.
I can no longer be around trump supporters or religious fanatics. It’s just too toxic and they are just too hateful. But I do see it in even other areas. I sometimes fear where this is all headed....
I prefer blogs and I follow quite a few, but again it is like minded people...funny, smart and rational people.

Arkansas Patti said...

Luckily I only use FB to see how my grand nieces and nephews are growing and what they are into. No meanies there. I have seen mean comments on sports posts and that is enough. Besides, just reading that comment section on sports news opens me up to tons of spam directed towards horny men with under functioning libidos. Seems there is a pill for that.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Oh my goodness you all made me laugh in one way or another.

Jean - it seems no one plays nice anymore.

LL - It is exactly like high school or being 17!

It's - I don't mind watching million-dollar homes being renovated although I don't think anything on there is 1 million dollars but okay - I still get ideas from poor or rich. Texture, color, scale, love those lamps? A can of spray paint. I bought a small light for my kitchen. HATED the color but it was perfect in the spot I wanted it and the scale of it. So I painted it. EVERYONE who comes over asks how I found the perfect red lamp? Yep for $12.99 from Home Goods and a $4 can of red spray paint at Lowes. My husband and I saw the same exact lamp (not red of course) on a Property Brothers. So there are ideas everywhere not just in the cheap homes. And Damn those houses are cheap - most are the price of a car. Floors me. But then I'd have to live in Laurel Mississippi with a crime rate higher than anywhere I know of.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Olga - I love thumper and that is in no way harsh but in todays environment I guess it is. I heard that from my mom, my school teachers and my CCD classes.


Mary - I think that is why social distancing doesn't bother me. I don't enjoy people as much as I used to. It's all ugly and toxic out there. We get rid of the toxic ass in the WH will help. It will take 8 years or more to fix his shit.
Facebook was deactivated this morning for me. I think I'll take a month off and see how i feel.