While we're on the subject of Ms. Scrooge allow me to tell you this tidbit about myself.
Christmas music wherever you go all the time is nothing but annoying to me. Even if you like Christmas music, it's too much. Goes on too damn long. I feel like it is Chinese Water Torture.
Today I went to the doctors - it was playing in the office.
Then I went to Walgreens and it was playing there.
Then I stopped at the grocery store to fetch juice, it was playing there too.
Then I came home - whew - never going to hear that stuff at home.
But Rick is home today (long story) and he had on TV when I returned.
Yep, you guessed it, Christmas music.
I can't get away from it.
Growing up Christian you'd think I'd be used to this.
I feel for the poor souls who are not Christian and have to put up with this holiday music on a loop of nausea. No skin in the game and still have to listen to this all the damn time? It's enough to make you postal. But I know there are those very nice people out there who LOVE this.
I want to slap them, but they are nice people. They are probably the same nice people who put glitter in your card. And we all love getting a card with glitter in it, don't we?
When I loved Christmas I didn't like this music. So now add that I am the ultimate scrooge and I am not a fan.
Oh, sure when we would decorate the tree and we'd have our spiked homemade egg nog Rick and I would play Christmas music on. But do I really need to hear this from Thanksgiving to New Years? Even music I like I would end up hating if I had to hear it on a loop like this.
I worked a holiday season at the mall once.
The operative word here, ONCE.
Holiday mall workers deserve combat pay if you ask me. And you didn't.
Oh my goodness the music was non stop. It drove us all crazy. Like the mean shoppers weren't bad enough but do I have to hear jingle bells for the 24th time today and not hurt anyone? Really you expect that from me? I'm not that strong.
As teens and young adults my cousins and I would load up our sleds with boxes of booze and we'd carol through the neighborhood.
My ex-husband was shocked at his first Xmas caroling adventure after marrying me.
He asked, "All your cousins do this? And they LIKE to do this?"
I explain to the best of my ability, "Hey, it's another reason to drink, walk and be together, it's fun" We meet at Uncle Angelo's, we will pull our wagon and walk around the neighborhood singing and believe it or not it's a riot. We laugh a lot as we tend to do. The people love it and get so excited when they open their door, or pretend to. We can't sing a lick but it sounds okay when we are all together. We end up at Uncle Ange's for food and warming up at the end of the evening." I do remember him shaking his head and I know he was thinking we were certifiable.
We were 23 and off we went caroling. He admitted it was a ball, the laughter, the falling down, (was it icy or was that too much hot toddy?) even the singing. Because in my hometown it is always snowing so there was always snow and ice making it even more of an adventure.
So I didn't always dislike Christmas music. But again it didn't start at Thanksgiving. It was 2 maybe 3 weeks at best. That is enough!
Then comes December 31st - well I like that date in December.
That day in 1993 in Montego Bay Jamaica under a flower field gazebo overlooking the vast blue ocean I wed Mr. Right.
So you see, December isn't all bad. 😍
Here is a favorite non-traditional Christmas song.
16 comments:
I worked in music retail for 11 years (in the field). To paraphrase Al Bundy, the time from November 1 to January 31 was like one long month... "Helluary."
Because we were a record store, we were trying to sell Christmas music, so of course it played all day long. What I hated the most was that it was always the stale stuff... Johnny Mathis, Barbara Streisand, Bing Crosby, Nat King Cole. And at the time, there were only about, what, 20 Christmas songs?
Drove me out of my freakin' head. It also drove me to seek out different styles of Christmas music, like rock, blues, and Cajun. Anything but Rockin' Around that freakin' Christmas Tree... Gah!
Bluzdude, I always wanted a job at a music store but that has now been cured from your comment. Grandma got run over by a reindeer is another soul killer! The singers you mentioned was the crap(professional term) at the mall too.
I like the Real Christmas music, but not so early. A week before would do. Also they only play crap Christmas music these days, Mommy kissing Santa, Santa Baby, Rudolph, etc.
Joeh, agreed! 2 weeks before is plenty. Thank you!
Amen, Peg! We'd play Christmas tunes at our home on Christmas morning when the kids were little, but not otherwise.
You've conjured up memories of caroling as a teen - very similar with a bunch of us who couldn't really sing, but it was an excuse to walk around in the cold and drink. Again, I swear you and I would've been chums if we grew up together.
Does anyone carol anymore?
Abby, you know I don't think people do anymore. I never see anyone and I live in a community ripe for it. (the dreaded planned community) But today they would see us on their Ring and not open the door. :-) Oh none of us could sing. That was the fun of it all I swear. We sucked. But the more we drank, the louder and more enthusiastic we became. As for sister from another mister, I say this all the time! You could have helped me with math. HA HA - I could have offered nothing but friendship. I'd be your dumb albeit nice friend. :-)
Never been a caroler nor been caroled. Feel like I missed something. Had to laugh at the Ring saving people from opening the door in the first place.
Ah my other sister from another mister. Patti you never went caroling huh? Never too late. :-) Get that sled, sheet music and your friends and off you go. The liquor helps but not necessary for a good time.
I have little patience for constant Christmas music as well. There were radio stations starting to playing it 24/7 before Halloween when I was in FL. Maybe there is a need to push the season really hard since weather doesn't scream Holiday Season quite the same way as New England cold and snow. But seriously, that was way too much!
Count me in the Hate Christmas Music club.
Olga and Jean, welcome to my club ladies. No annual dues required😁
I will agree with you on the music. I love Christmas music but it bothers me that right after Halloween, the very next day this one radio station begins to play Christmas music. For me, that too much. Maybe the second week of December it could be nice the very next day after Christmas, the music goes back to normal. Have a very wonderful Christmas Peg.
Cruisin Paul
I love Christmas music, but not the newer stuff.
I like to choose what I listen to, though, so I usually make my own CDs.
And one doesn't have to be a Christian to enjoy the season/celebrate. :)
Took my Girl Scouts caroling several times over the years I had a troop and went with a couple homeschooling groups as well. None of us were drinking. lol
Cool train video.
I feel the same way when Claudia wants to go to Longhorn Steak House and we wind up under a speaker blaring C&W music.
I always thought having a New Year's wedding would be great because of the fun attitude New Year's brings. I think that maybe you can't enjoy Christmas without all the relatives and who has that many relatives living close anymore. As for the Christmas music, earplugs?
I completely agree!
Post a Comment