The insurance adjuster came out and they gave me an estimate. I called flooring contractors/companies and chose one. I never saw any money pass hands it was all done without me. I just picked out my flooring and went through the disruptive process of my entire first floor under construction.
This time it is far different. I got an estimate. I will receive a check made out to me and my mortgage company. We both sign, then I have all this money to get the house fixed. What? I don't like it this way at all. I prefer to not have any of this money.
I should have the check tomorrow, I send it to the Mortgage company. (why didn't insurance send it to the mortgage company first then on to me if they require this?)
Once the mortgage company signs it then they send it to me to sign and cash. I then get my home fixed. I have to call all the companies to find someone to fix all these issues.
This is the same insurance company but my mortgage was sold to a different company and this is how they expect it over a certain amount.
The last time was only $5K. I guess they figure they have skin in the game. But it is so convoluted and time-consuming.
I expect this mess will be here until spring. I got just shy of $19K.
Can I do all this for that amount? Who knows. I can tell you that the companies to call that insurance gave me don't respond to email or phone calls after 3 days so I will not choose them just for that fact. There is no excuse for not returning a call within 24 hrs. Even if just to say you can't help them.
So that is where I'm at with the mess in the house. Sound like fun to you?
Other tidbits from around these parts -
**Yesterday there was a snow day for the DMV. No snow on the actual ground but a snow day. Honestly, southerners can't handle any kind of precipitation from the sky. It was in the 40's yesterday, snow fell onto the warm pavement and melted. So no school. Crazy right?
**Rick saw a photo of his ex-wife and it was an awful picture of her.
She looks like she has speed aged since we saw her.
Rick showed me the photo on facebook. It was on his daughter's feed.
I said, "Okay"
He said, "I'm such a bad person I love that she looks like shit. Karma for how mean she is to her family and basically anyone. But then I realized that is not nice and I too will have bad karma. Damn it I wanted to enjoy that for a while."
Sometimes this man's logic escapes me.
I met Rick after they were divorced for 10 years. She still won't speak to me. I swear when you stand by her you actually feel the cold air she radiates. She is creepy to me.
**A contractor took down a shower rod in this family's shower. They had a stone tile wall. The contractor made a mess and called us to repair it to make him look good to his client. The man was in a panic when he called us. There were 4 holes like this. Here is the before and after.
The contractor was so happy with the above wall and the 4 holes Rick fixed he called a week later when a former customer of his called upset because she had a crack in her marble countertop and she couldn't use it. Rick did that repair too. Then sealed the marble with a UV lamp and it was good to go immediately. Rick was unhappy with this one because he felt you could see it.
But he had a difficult time getting it any closer. The customer was so thrilled because she could use this now without fear of it getting larger.
She gave Rick a bottle of wine, $20 tip along with paying him.
That is how happy she was so I kept telling him if she was thrilled you should be damn happy too.
Guess who gets to share that bottle?
So here are the two repairs this week that I think he should be proud of.
Me? I don't do squat here, just run the business. It's all him!






15 comments:
Ha-ha, enjoy the wine!
They want to give the money to you so you have to deal with the contractor. They gave you 19K. If it's 19.1K they know most people won't go through the hassle to try and get that extra $100.
One of the hazards of doing work around your own house is nothing gets fixed perfectly. You can always spot your own repair jobs. No one else can. But they stick out like a sore thumb to you.
I had to look but I could see the crack repair. But the repair looks better than some of the lines that are there naturally. It just looks like a natural line in the stone.
Wow, I can't believe how costly this damage is going to cost to repair!
Rick does great work and he it saves a lot of expensive and time consuming replacements. When we built this house they had put the faucets in the master bath on the wrong end of the shower from what was on the blueprint and had to be changed. They repaired the holes from the move and to this day---18 years later---you still can't tell. Amazing.
Jean, it is a lot but I have a lot of damage and I fear this won't be enough. We shall see. Friday I have two companies coming for estimates. I'm so happy to hear that the holes are not visible even to this day. Remember my entire 1st floor will be getting new wood floors. including powder room, closets, pantries etc. The entire 1st floor from the foyer to the back of the house. I'm worried. But ya'll know i'll keep you posted. :-)
Oh no, I don't envy you having to deal with the contractors. However you are better equipped to do that than I would ever be. Just having strange guys crawling around and disrupting your life would be too much for me.
Rick really does good work and I couldn't tell where the former damage was.
Patti - just had the oddest conversation with one of the contractors. I told him I was not comfortable with what he was telling me. Boy these guys are sleazy. I will write about it tomorrow. I don't know that I am any better equipped than you but I do know I hate having all these people in my house and disrupting my life just as you said. HATE it!
Fall in love with a weirdo is the best advice young people should be given. I'm going to post on my FB now.
Barbara, well you know I agree because I posted it.🤩
What a big fat pain in the ASS! Both the water leak and the ex.
Hope your holidays are good Peg.
Still planning your trip?
Linda yes. I was going to drop you an email this week.
Well at least the first part if finished. Now you can spend Christmas and New Years. After that, You two should be able to deal with contractors. Spring will be there sooner then you think and you'll see that this sad situation will be gone and you both can sit down an have a glass ( or more ) of wine. Have a good Christmas Peg.
Cruisin Paul
Paul you confused me What is finished? Nothing has started here so nothing is finished. That cruise must be coming soon.
It looks great! My step mom is like that with my mom. They were married 45 years ago, she's had him 40. You'd think she'd be over it by now.
Julie, I don't get it either. People are funny!
Sorry about that. I meant that now that you have the money you can begin to fix things up. Sorry, sorry, sorry.
Cruisin Paul
Post a Comment