The video I wanted to share with you today won't allow me to share. I guess it's too big. So I will do my best to articulate the last 24 hrs.
I threw in a load of laundry and went to work at 8:25am on Friday.
Izzy was asleep in her bed in front of the fireplace on the 1st level of our home.
Around 9 I was on the phone with a customer when I was hearing a ping, ping noise. I couldn't get this woman off the phone fast enough to see what was happening on the 1st floor.
I assumed Izzy got into something. She never has even once in 10.5 yrs but you never know.
So I run downstairs to see a huge amount of water dripping from my pendant lights onto the island and over the kitchen island onto the floor. Water is all over the floor. I turn off the water immediately. I see poor Izzy's face, she looked so confused.
I ran back upstairs to the laundry room and opened the door, water poured out from under the door and went into the hall and the master.
I was ankle-deep in water. One of the laundry room walls butts up to Rick's walk-in closet. I was concerned for his stuff. I tried to turn off the machine and it wouldn't turn off so I unplugged it and it was still going. WTH? I climbed up onto the machine to reach the two "things" that had to be turned off. But I couldn't budge them.
Oh, why isn't Rick home when I need him?
So I run next door in my bare feet in 30-degree weather and ask my neighbor Tom to help me. He walked in and said, OH MY GOD. Yep, but it's the 2nd-floor laundry room is where I need you, Tom.
Having the same layout he knew where to go.
He was able to get those suckers turned the correct way to turn it off. YIPEE.
I grabbed all my beach towels and my older white towels and ran downstairs to clean up. I dropped them on the island and ran to the garage to fetch the wet vac.
I began to sop up the water. Used the towels for the rest. Then I went up to the 2nd flr and began again. What a mess.
I called the insurance company immediately after that. Then I called my home warranty people after that for the washer.
My homeowner's insurance had Service Masters at my house in 1.5 hours. A team of 8 people went through my house like they were on fire.
Man, did they move. Talk about thorough and professional.
When they came into the house the lead guy told me what would be happening and he asked that Izzy and I leave this floor. I told him the info he wanted and needed and Izzy and I sat on the staircase and watched the. They were a well-oiled machine. Plastic went down on the floors, they moved furniture, they covered furniture. Then had this thing that looked like a stick and when they pressed it into the floor they knew where there was water on both the rug and the wood floor. They burst a couple of bubbles that were on the ceiling (I was afraid if I did that water would have gone everywhere so I waited for them) Water and drywall were falling everywhere. I now have a big hole in my ceiling. Water was coming from more places than where the hole is but those will be able to dry out from the opening in the ceiling and the fans.
Oh let's talk about the fans, shall we?
They are big, they are loud like a jet engine. They have these things on the floor that a hose goes into and it sucks the water from the floor. Then a machine it goes into and a hose that is into my kitchen sink. There at 6 big ass machines in the kitchen. I can't speak to people and have them hear me with these machines on. The clincher you ask? I MUST keep the machines on for 24/7. They come back on Monday. I asked if I could just give us a break and turn them off for a little while? NO, you can't.
He read me the list of reasons why and I swear I heard, yada yada yada. I just couldn't imagine having to have this kind of noise in my house.
I have the same set up in my laundry room bedroom.
They ripped up all the flooring in the laundry room and there are fans and machines in there too.
In our bedroom, we have some other things supposedly drying out the carpet.
Tom stopped over after he saw the Service Masters trucks leave. He asked if I needed anything. I told him to come in and see what they did.
He stood there with his hand over his mouth. He screamed, "How long do these machines have to be one?" I screamed right back, "24/7 until they come back on Monday." OH MY GOD was his response.
At 5:45p Tom text me and asks if I'd like to come to his house for some quiet, bring Izzy and we'll fill your glass with wine.
I wrote back, I'll bring a bottle and I'll be there as soon as I get my shoes on. Izzy and I practically ran over there. I forgot to leave Rick a note though. Oops.
Rick walked into this house that was perfect when he left in the morning and he sees holes in the ceiling wet floors, machines and fans and noise.
He went upstairs and he saw the same thing, calling my name.
He then went to the 3rd floor calling my name and Izzy's.
He assumed I was walking the dog when he couldn't find us in the house.
He then text me and said, "where are you?"
I told him I was at Tom and Danielle's and come on over.
We talked and laughed and finished the wine and said I have to go home.
I had not had one single ounce of food all day. The 2 glasses of wine hit me like a ton of bricks. Rick laughed at me and said, well it may help you sleep through the jet engines in the house.
So how does one sleep in the middle of a jet engine?
That's correct, one doesn't. We could do it if it were only the 1st floor but being the 1st and 2nd and our master is on the 2nd floor it is impossible.
Poor Izzy this really upset her. The noise bothered her immensely.
She just doesn't want to be here. If I unplug as I did this morning for 30 minutes, the big one that sucks the water out of the floor, she calms down and will chill out for a bit. But I can't keep it off. I put it back on and she gets up immediately and runs to the door. I don't know if it hurts her ears or what but this is not good for any of us. Last night she was miserable and made it worse for us. I took her to daycare today just to give her a break. (and me too) Rick is working. I am having to listen to this until the washerman gets here to see about a repair or a new washer. I planned on doing laundry this weekend. Guess that's out until I find a laundromat.
I can't watch TV because I can't hear it. We went to the 3rd floor last night and watched TV. Izzy was still oh, so antsy. It was a bad night. We slept in the guest room which is only a queen bed. My husband is a king bed man. His long body ends up diagonal so he's not hanging off the bed so I am squished into this corner. I don't know the time I got up because he put the clock face down on his nightstand. I guess it bothered him, who knows. I went and slept in the 3rd floor tv room theatre seats. At 4 I just got up and thought the hell with this. Izzy was already up and she and I went downstairs to my bedroom and got dressed and brushed my teeth and we went for a walk. Pitiful when a 4:20a walk is better than being in your own home.
After Rick got up the shouting began. WHAT? hand in air to stop talking and he moves closer to me and in my ear says, "say that again"
So I scream it so he can hear me. He left for work and Izzy and I had to deal with this. I unplugged it as I said above for 30 minutes. Only 1 machine, the loudest one, so Izzy could chill while I showered etc.
She laid in her bed after it was turned off. I have a feeling the sound or frequency of this loudest machine hurts her ears. But I could be wrong.
I came back downstairs to Izzy sitting at the bottom of the steps waiting for me.
She ran to the door when she saw me.
I know she was begging to get out of here.
I plugged the loudest one back in and grabbed my coat and we left. We went for a ride, which this crazy dog loves to do. She will just lay down and sleep. I know she was exhausted and she just wanted out of the noisy house so even for me driving a bit was actually nice and quiet. I didn't even turn on the radio, the quiet was so damn nice.
After a 20 minute ride, we ended up at the daycare facility. Daycare is a 4-minute ride but Izzy and I enjoyed the quiet in the car so we just drove around and wasted gas.
After I stopped she sat up and looked where we were.
She knew. Her tail was going nuts, She was so excited.
I was happy for her. She was going to have fun.
I had to go home and listen to screaming engines.
(I started this a few hours earlier but got interrupted)
The washer repairman that my home warranty company sent arrived on time.
He said between 12-2p and he was here at 1:46p
He went right upstairs and was in my laundry room for less than 8 minutes and came out and said I am requesting you get a new washer.
Yeah for me. But what a way to get it. He said he could fix it and it may hang in there for a month but we don't want this to happen again. It's old and you need to get a new one. I will let your warranty company know and they will research this area to see the average price and they will give you that to go buy one or they will send you model numbers and you pick one and it will be delivered.
We moved into this house on January 15, 2000. We bought it then.
So it is old in washing machine terms.
My neighbor went through something similar and got a new washer.
They gave her $800 and something. The washer she liked was 1200.
But she took the 800 and now loves it. I am curious to see what my warranty company will do for me.
I imagine I will get a new floor as well.
My floors look like crap. I wanted new floors but not like this.
Although I am not paying for them.
Monday Service Master returns between 8-9am
They will determine if they need to do anything more, how much water was removed and be sure all the water is gone where it should be gone. (rick's closet got pretty damp too). We don't want mold as they kept saying.
Then I would assume these god awful machines leave my home.
Wednesday the insurance adjuster will arrive to see about what is going to be done. He told me on the phone I can use their contractors or I can get my own.
Right now I have to wash clothes at the laundromat. Not thrilled.
But more than anything I just want quiet and these machines gone from my home. I think tonight we may do a hotel for the 3 of us. I have got to get some sleep!!
Since I couldn't load the video I thought I'd show you a photo of my ceiling that is drying out. The repair will be far larger than the hole. That hole is just to dry out the ceiling. The dark line you see from my lights across the ceiling is a shadow or reflection of the lights - not any more damage. I do wish they would let me upload the video, it helps show the scope far better.
I sure hope you are having a better weekend.

16 comments:
That is awful. Noise like that really gets to me. I don't know what I would have done but a hotel sounds like a good idea.
Wow, what a disaster! And now I know why my father was always so insistence that we never leave the house if the washer or dryer were running.
I had a flooded basement a few years ago and had those "jet engines" in my house for 3-4 days. I hated that sound too, couldn't sleep to them either! And that dryer machine was as big as a refrigerator! Then they had to treat the place to prevent mold, had to do it twice.
I can't believe how fast you found help and actually knew what to do!
Soon it will just be a bad memory. We had a similar issue several years ago, but fortunately our machine is in a basement.
My guess is you are right, the fan makes a high pitched noise that really upsets your poor pooch's sensitive hearing.
Mike accidentally deleted your message, you got caught sandwiched in between two spammers. Sorry!
Oh My Gosh!
What a fiasco. My mother and sister were the the Service Master business when I was you, therefore I know it could have been a lot worse but that is hard to see when you are ankle deep in it.
Oh my God Peg! I went through the same thing but we hadn't even been into out new home. We went into the place to check things out and we heard water on the other side of the door. Once inside two pipes had burst and water was coming down the hall into the kitchen Also it went across to the TV room. This was a mess. Mary Lou & I were crying because we hadn't even spent a night in our new home. New carpet, new flooring, new everything. It cost over $10 thousand dollars to fix everything and we hadn't even finished paying for this new place. Today after 29 years we can think about what happened but will never laugh about it. We'll be thinking of you & Rick & Izzy today.
Cruisin Paul
Geez, no matter what happens here, it sounds like we'll be having a better weekend. Yipe! So sorry about your situation.
I bet Rick must have shat himself upon seeing all that for the first time.
Yikes, what an incredible nightmare. Was impressed how you handled it and got the help you needed. They should have also brought noise cancelling headphones for you two and a small set for Izzy. The only good thing out of this is that it won't cost you other than hearing damage and frazzled nerves. Think I need to check to see if we have a Service Master.
OMGGGG I'm so sorry! What a bunch of crap to deal with. :(
There was a low-income apartment building on the news this week here (bad grammar, I tired) that had flooded. The property owner thought it would be just fine to charge a full month's rent to these families with small children 'because the noise level wasn't that bad' with all the fans etc. Lots of nasty feedback on that one.
I'm glad you were able to minimize the damage but OMGGGGGGGGGGGG
Yikes!
Well.I had a similar leak down through the ceiling light a year ago. Had the big hole in the ceiling and everything was dry as a bone. The leak was not from the washer and we still don't know where it came from. My guess is that this condo is possessed.
At least I didn't have to suffer the jet engines -- well the F15s flying over head but not from giant fans.
I think I should move!
Paul, this, of course, will be more due to inflation but it's going to be some serious money. :-(
bluzdude, anyone had a better weekend than us. You are exactly right about Rick when he say this.
Ami, this is such a huge inconvenience and it's like Chinese water torture with these damn fans! How awful that they didn't think it was bad enough to get these families into a hotel/motel situation. It doesn't need to be grand. But I know it hurts my dog's ears, little children shouldn't be exposed to this for long amounts of time.
Patti- I HOPE it doesn't cost me anything. It shouldn't but there is always a glitch. A new washer is in the works too according to my home warranty so we'll see. But for now the jet engines have ceased.
Olga - I'm glad you didn't have to have these jet engines as well. I think when said and done this will be far more than 20k to get back to normal. But I'm just guessing right now.
Oh, dear Lord help you! Your writing painted a great picture of total disaster.
Then the question is "What is NEXT"?! Go to a hotel! take some wine with food.
Susan, I never ask What next? Never. I have learned as soon as I do, a higher power will show me and it's not always good. I said that once after a delay in the finishing of the building we had for a business a long long time ago. Finally we thought all was completed except for one tiny thing. I said, "oh jeez what next" the following morning the roof collapse from such heavy snow. The brand new roof! So I never ask that question anymore for fear of what next. :-)
Oh, Peg! I am so sorry that you had to go through all that. I can't believe they expect you to be able to live in the house with those fans running (yeah, I've heard them, but not at my house thank goodness).
OMG what a nightmare
Post a Comment