Friday, August 2, 2019

Coffee Jitters

Rick and I bought something frivolous.
We don't get to do that as much as you'd think anymore due to being self-employed and poorer.

Oh, we have fixed our old machine 3 times now. I have purchased this part or been told by support what to do. But it keeps stopping mid coffee stream. I can't have that in the morning. 
I need full strength industrial coffee in a big cup filled to the rim!
So we decided to throw caution to the wind and buy this puppy.


This shiny new machine does it all. 
Cappuccinos? Why thank you.
Lattes are your thing, well let me whip one up for you.
Double shot espresso, coming right up.
And regular ole coffee in a pod or grounds for me. Yippee.

This arrived late yesterday. 
I got $20 off but it was still a not necessary purchase of $159.00
It would have been even more if I got the one in silver/stainless steel.
I just didn't need to spend the extra for something like that, but yes, it would have looked much nicer. 

Last night after dinner I sat on the sofa having a beautiful cappuccino.
Normally I drink black coffee with stevia. But boy oh boy was this a treat.
This morning Rick had a caramel latte and according to him, this was far better than Starbucks. The little foamer on the side is the key if you ask me.
I don't often use milk but this was amazingly good.  It will foam hot milk or do it cold if you wish to have an iced coffee drink.

The most surprising thing is how fast this was. 
I threw in the 2% milk to the cappuccino line and put the lid on it and hit the button for hot. It began to swirl and make a hissing noise we're all too familiar with from going to coffee shops. Then I threw in an espresso k-pod and hit 1 shot. As my coffee was brewing my milk was becoming hot and foamy. Both now done at the same time I put the milk in my cup and stir in a teaspoon of stevia. It didn't take any more time really. That was what I was afraid of. All this fussin' in the morning. But it wasn't like that thankfully.

So this coffee addict now has a new toy. I will be making coffee drinks for everyone. I myself will only have one of these fancy drinks for a treat. Too fattening really even using nonfat milk. (The manual says to use 1 or 2% for best results though.) 
But nothing is better after a meal than a cappuccino. So I can see what I'll be having on a Saturday or a Sunday. Rick likes these drinks so I know he will use this often! Fill up his travel mug and off he goes. 

Rick and I stopped going to coffee shops long ago when our whole world turned upside down and we lost our jobs. Foolish money to spend $10 on a couple of coffees. This makes it feel like we're at a coffee shop again, only cheaper really. And as Rick likes to say he can be naked and drink it at our house. Thankfully he doesn't but I understood his point.

Do you drink coffee? Do you like lattes or cappuccinos? 
Would this be your cup of "tea"?


16 comments:

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

I'm so glad you love your new Keurig. It's always fun to get a new toy. When they work right Keurig are wonderful, aren't they. And the drinks they produce are so good, especially if you use bottled water. I finally gave mine up after having to fix it for the 5th or 6th time and I replaced it with a standard brewer. It wasn't just having to fix it that made me change because I got quite good at doing that. I'd also made a commitment to reduce my one-time use plastics. Next time I'm in the neighborhood I'm stopping by for that tea.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Jean, I have had a few Keurig's. At our lake house and here. But this last one has been a real stinker. The others never had an issue. We do use filtered water but not bottled. I think it's my new addiction. :-)

Mike said...

Do I drink coffee? Oh hell no. It is the nastiest foulest liquid on the face of the planet. Did I mention I don't like coffee? Know why? Here's the explanation. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supertaster

From the article...

Certain alcoholic beverages (gins, tequilas, and hoppy beers) CHECK
Brassica oleracea cultivars (become very sulfurous, especially if overcooked) DON'T KNOW WHAT THIS IS.
Brussels sprouts CHECK
Cabbage MEH
Kale CHECK
Coffee CHECK
Grapefruit juice MEH
Cilantro or Coriander DON'T KNOW
Green tea MEH
Watercress, mustard greens, horseradish, dandelion greens, rutabaga, and turnip CHECK
Soy products CHECK
Carbonated water CHECK
Mushrooms NOPE, THESE ARE OK
Anise and licorice NOPE, OK WITH LICORICE
Lower-sodium foods NOPE, OK
Other foods may also show altered patterns of preference and consumption, but only indirect evidence exists:
Tonic water – quinine is more bitter to supertasters CHECK
Olives – for a given concentration, salt is more intense in supertasters BLACK OLIVES ARE GREAT, GREEN OLIVES NOT

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

supertasters? Hmm...I think I'm glad I'm not one of those.

Olga said...

Such a machine would be completely wasted on me as I have one or two cups of coffee in the morning just to wake up. I don't savor it it. I don't even always taste it. After that, since I have not had to pull an all-nighter study marathon since college many moons ago, I don't have coffee. I think Starbucks coffee is way too strong and way too bitter -- based entirely on one taste.
Now both my son and my friend Don would swoon at a gift of this gizmo.
All the same, I do have a recurring nightmare about being in my mom's kitchen and only being able to find instant coffee.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Olga, I get that. And the only thing I use instant coffee for is baking. Sometimes instant espresso granules really make a chocolate cake even taste chocolate-er. :-) I do not like Starbucks due to bitterness so I also understand that. I never even drank coffee until I was 39.

joeh said...

I need a mug at breakfast, and one after dinner. Mrs. C does not drink coffee at all, so we got one of those Kurig types that makes one mug at a time. It did not make it strong enough for me with the pods, so I started stuffing grounds into their coffee ground empty pod. THat was fine, but I found that with only one mug at a time it took as long to brew as my Mr. Coffee type machine and that machine brewed better to me.

Mrs. C does use the other machine for tea.

I'm not much with the fancy coffee drinks, but if you do, your machine sounds like the perfect choice for regular or fancy.

Barbara said...

I love my morning coffee. I love it sweet and milky. It does wake me up but if I had to drink it black, I would give it up. It is all about the sweetness for me (says the diabetic!) I don't know which run of the mill coffee maker I am using at the moment but I think the fancy coffee makers are a reward for all the other ways we do not blow our money in ways that are not as rewarding.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Barbara, I got used to black while I was dieting and just kept it up. But this morning I hate a yummy frothy caramel latte. come on over and have a cup. Rick says I now have to make him lemon pound cake like starbucks. So by the time you get here, it should be done. 😁

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

that was to read, I HAD a yummy...

It's.a.crazy.world said...

We left our drip coffee maker behind with our Keurig 4 years ago...ours is not as fancy as yours, but the coffee is so good. And I don't have to wash the carafe and drop it on the floor prompting the purchase of a new one because you don't want to wait 3-5 days for the replacement to come in the mail. :-)
But last Christmas I bought Romeo and I a Nespresso (so, yeah, we have two coffee machines). But wow, is that coffee great!
If I lived nearby, I'd come over with a cake or cookies so you could make me a cappuccino!

Cruisin Paul said...

Mary Lou & I drink coffee. I get at least three a day. She enjoys a vanilla biscotti coffee. Sometimes we get a MacDonald's coffee. We love a Keurig machine and I might go and buy one that gives me cappuccino.
I hope you are feeeling better Peg. See ya.

Cruisin Paul

Arkansas Patti said...

Coffee after dinner?? Mercy when do you sleep? Seriously any caffeine after 2 PM and I am looking for a party after dinner. The price was not bad for look at all the money you will be saving each time you make your own special and delicious coffee that would cost you around $7 at a specialty store. Enjoy.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Patti, I have had coffee at 9p and go to bed at 10p and sleep until Izzy wakes me at 5a. I stopped for awhile at night and then insomnia hits me. no coffee, no sleep...go figure. it confuses Rick too.😉

Abby said...

Well, look at you, Mr. and Mrs. Fancypants! I didn't know of this shiny version. I've only used the kind that makes basic coffees. Congratulations! Enjoy - fully clothed or otherwise!

Julie H said...

One of my friends makes fancy coffee. I've got my old cheapy and cheap coffee lol. We'll have to go out if you ever come here ;)