Speaking of the Kentucky Derby...what? we weren't?
This weekends incident brought back the memories.
You see for 2 years I worked for the state commission.
Those judges who make the rulings on the things jockeys do, don't do and tell you that the 2nd place finisher is now the winner due to the infraction.
I worked for one of the judges. I had minor things like type up the infraction of a jockey being over his weight limit to fines, to really big issues like what happened this past weekend at the Derby.
This was a 2nd job but I loved it so much. It was interesting and it was a cast of characters. I also loved this grumpy ole judge I worked for. He was a softy if you looked for it. He loved me too. So it worked.
Then the next 7 yrs I worked as a pari-mutual. The woman who takes your money and gives you your winning (or losing) ticket. I loved that job too.
From my point of view that recent derby horse that was disqualified was done so deservedly.
I realize the owner for his reasons will appeal. But what a waste of money.
If the judges are true to themselves and not paid off this was the right call.
A woman I knew from high school worked at the track I worked at and she collected the top 3 winner's pee. Talk about a fun job eh?
The horses were in this paddock behind our offices. I would see her collect their urine and then it was put in this fridge. She got in a heap of trouble when she switched urine. I don't recall what her sentence was but I do know she was neck high in doo-doo. Apparently, she was paid by a trainer to switch the urine. I can't fathom how much money that she would give herself prison time or any of the punishments she received. I'm telling you between the real gamblers and all the things on the inside it was truly an interesting and quirky place to work.
I was looking for a past Kentucky Derby story I wrote about years ago.
This story never fails to make me smile when I remember that long weekend.
For the newbies, here is a flash from my past.
10 comments:
The judges made the absolute right call. All but two jockey filled a complain about the winner and if you watched the replay tapes the judges saw from behind you could see the problem. I'm glad the sport held firm to their rules, despite what the president said.
Jean, well what does that orange man know about anything but lying and deceitful behavior. They got the right call! I saw the other guy on TV whining. But he should be punishing his jockey not spending his time and money fighting this obvious call.
I'm no judge, but I agree it was the right call. I've had it with cheaters.
Hmmm, how did the pee switcher get caught??
Abby, I don't recall and I've been trying. Someone knew something, another trainer perhaps. But she got jail time and since it was a state job she lost some good benefits etc. Dummy.
Trump tweeted that is was only because of "political correctness" that the win was overturned and it shouldn't have been. If following the rules is 'political corrective' then we could sure use a lot more of that in D.C.
God switching horse pee. There's always some kind of temptation for people I guess.
I still don't like crowds.
Julie, her pay out was less than 15K. Not worth jail time to me. People will cheat any chance they get it seems.
Mike, spoken like a true curmudgeon like me.
Amazing results. I wish I had of bet on that horse. See ya Peg.
Cruisin Paul
Post a Comment