Thursday, September 13, 2018

Creeps Everywhere

I LOVED the show Designing Women in the '80s.
My husband watched it with me and would say that I was 3/4 Julia Sugarbaker and 1/4 Suzanne Sugarbaker. And some days 50-50. 
While that made me laugh, I admit he was correct.

I was a fan of all the shows written by Linda Bloodworth Thomason.

Evening Shade and Hearts Afire to name a few.

Now I try not to put politics here but this recent mess with all these men doing horrific things I had to jump in.

None of it surprises me. But I have to say something about this latest.

A man said to me recently that he doesn't believe all of this because he has never seen it happen. He claims he knows no one who has ever been harassed sexually or otherwise. 

I guess he lives in a cave alone on an island. 
But to say he can't believe it because he hasn't seen it is the phrase that gets me. So do you believe in God? Have you ever seen him/her? 
What a lame ass excuse from someone who probably is an offender.

Well, I can tell that dip stick that it does happen. I am a woman. 

I have had sexual harassment most of my life. 
The one time I stood up for myself was such a freeing day for me. 
Scary as hell, but it felt good. 
Today I could sue. If I had sued I would be sitting right now on an island sipping a cold beverage and sunning myself because I would have made big bucks. But back in the day, you didn't sue. You were afraid you'd lose your job and I know what I had to endure after I just stood up for myself. There was no HR I could get to help me. 

Yesterday I read this article and it made me fume.

Linda Bloodworth Thomason wrote about her experience with Les Moonves. Boy, he sounds like a real jerk.
After reading this I thought, hey, no wonder there is nothing on CBS I watch.
They are all male driven like NCIS, Blue Bloods, Swat, Hawaii 5-O. None of these have I ever watched an episode of. The list is long of his male dominate shows and I never noticed it. I just knew that CBS had crap on prime time to me so I never went there. I can think of two shows I did watch and both are gone now anyway.

So check this article out in the Hollywood Reporter. 

Interesting and very sad read to me.

What the hell is wrong with men? This shit has been going on for as long as they have been around. But it's time, this must stop!


Here is some background on the CBS news firing of head honcho-

National Correspondent Jericka Duncan, who has been reporting on CBS’ exec harassment allegations and exits, said Fager texted her after she contacted him for comment on Ronan Farrow’s Sunday New Yorker article, in which another woman alleged Fager has sexually harassed her at an office party.
The Fager text read:
If you repeat these false accusations without any of your own reporting to back them up, you will be responsible for harming me. Be careful. There are people who lost their jobs trying to harm me and if you pass on these damaging claims without your own reporting to back them up that will become a serious problem.
Earlier on Wednesday, after CBS News announced Fager’s exit, effective immediately, Fager said in a statement that CBS had “terminated my contract early because I sent a text message to one of our own CBS reporters demanding that she be fair in covering the story.”
______

That is indeed a threat to lose her job. 
He said he shouldn't be fired for one text. Oh, c'mon now.
So if one steals only once should they not be arrested? 
If one commits murder only once is that a get out of jail free card?
So you threaten a reporters job so she writes what you want not what she finds to be true or backs up the issues at her company. To you that is no big deal?

I know men reading will say, well this isn't as bad as that. 

That is the issue here! Men never see any of this as bad.
It is her livelihood and he is threatening her to lie to protect his bad behavior. 
The denigration of the women who were raped, their heads pushed down to blow them, the women who couldn't get work because they made it impossible for them to do so all have a special place in hell I can only hope. 

This job for this reporter probably keeps a roof over her and her family. This job feeds her kids. She should not be intimidated to do what he wants. She should not have to lie so he can keep his job for doing what he knows is wrong.

For the love of God, this fires me up.

Now I realize I generalized here. Not all men are shit heads.

My husband has seen years of shit I have had to deal with. 
It has made his eyes wide open and has made him so understanding of all of this. But does he get as upset as me? Of course not, until it happens to you, you don't fully get it. I know today as I type this that I wish I had had the courage to stand up to these jerks in the 70's. I wish in 1987 I didn't have to do what I did to this man who would not stop harassing me. 
I wish in 1987 there was a Ronan Farrow and a #metoo movement because that would have given me the courage to speak up and not cry and hide.

I will leave you with something light -  (and every year prior)

Image may contain: one or more people, outdoor and nature

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great blog today. I can relate so well to this. I've had my share but the worst was my first full-time re-entry job at a major insurance co. in CT. A married elder attorney for the co. asked me to go to lunch with him. My response: "Is your wife coming?" Next, my fat slob of a male boss who used to tell me that I smelled good when I went into his office...can you imagine? - had all of us females in his dept. go to an annual bash for out of town sales reps. There we were expected to engage in conversation with the reps and dance with them. What? My boss also insisted I leave my car in the co. parking lot and go in his car with him. I refused. I also was not discreet about telling the other women I knew that I did not want to be a Geisha. Didn't take long for me to be let go with a two-week severance pay around Christmas. Another really good one was the boss I had who was doing drugs and threatened me and would speak to me on his cell phone about sex driving back to the co. after a meeting. That worked out okay because he was let go rather than me. Whew! It wasn't easy at all. I was in my forties and managed to survive it all to the point of even being offered a vice-presidency in a company but the path was full of bumps and burps.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Regina, I am so sorry this all happened to you!

Annsterw said...

You said it all when you said that anyone that has not been touched in some way by all of this must live on an island! It is FINALLY a great time to be a woman!!

Mike said...

"Men never see any of this as bad."

There's 10% type A narcissistic out there. They rise to the top. Nice guys really do finish last.

Abby said...

I read a story that published the actual text too. Whatta creep! He really thought he was immune from any repercussions. I'm glad he's not. But I think a lot of men in power think they can get away with that stuff, and a lot of men in general think it's okay too. Power often corrupts. But you're right. They're not all shitheads.

BootsandBraids said...

I'm no psychologist, but it seems to me the logic behind the men who never see this as bad or believe it even happened may be because they themselves have something to hide. To acknowledge it elsewhere means they have to admit (to themselves) their own guilt and they just can't do that.

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

You go, girl! This is a topic worthy a good rant. I'm really ticked off that someone could say they don't believe women are sexually harassed because they'd never seen it. Men who do those sorts of things don't want an audience, for crying out loud! That's like saying I don't believe in murder because I've never seen one. In a few cases I think some men have the misguided idea that they are "flirting" and the advancements are wanted or were encouraged. It's about time men learned that kind of activity has no place in a working environment where a good knee to the crotch could get a woman fired.

Susan Kane said...

If he had seen "it" would he even have recognized it? Such a strongly worded blog post. Oh, the big $$ could have been made if..if..

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Wow I kind of got everyone worked up. :-)

Mike - I agree to a point with you. I just don't think it's only 10%. I also don't think it is only those at the top. My ugliest incident was a co-worker of sorts. Not a higher up. Rick was in HR and his were not always in a power position either. But most were. I think there are a lot of nice guys, you just have to weed through a lot of shit to find 'em. Claudia and I obviously found 2.

Boots - I agree with you analysis.

flask said...

the idea of not sexually harassing people should not be political; it should just be the bare minimum of human decency.

if some people insist on making that politics, then bring on the politics.