Monday, March 7, 2016

Monday

Rick's foot was the size of his head. Now it's the size of Izzy's head.
So progress is being made. He is walking better and he went a day without pain medication and that's a big deal. The blisters are drying and his foot sort of looks like a foot again.  Sort of.

He goes back to the heart doctor tomorrow and then will be back to work on a light schedule of only estimates the rest of the week.
He will be teaching Gary how to do a tub conversion on Wednesday so he will be "working"  I say "working" because he will be having Gary do it, he supervises.  But he will be there so it's "working"  Gary has never cut a tub before and while Rick says it's easy, one does not want to screw this up.

These tub conversions are funny. The people who need them always say they don't need them. It's their children who insist they get them. This particular customer has gone back and forth with us. Apparently his mother insists she doesn't need this. It's been canceled and rebooked. She called me one day and said that her son had made an appointment and gave me his name. She said, "Just cancel it. He thinks I am old and need this and I don't!"

Apparently she slipped while trying to get her leg over the tub.
So now it's on again. Her son called and said, "No matter what she says if she should call you, this is not going to be canceled!"
That made me chuckle. I see both sides of this. I get why her son wants her to have this. I also get why her pride won't let her.
We are also putting in grab bars for her. Those she wanted and welcomed.

This is what they look like when completed. It allows the aging person to not have to lift their leg so high. There are also one with doors as well if they want to bathe instead of shower. They are quite popular and I can see how this would be necessary as I age.
CleanCut Step | Safeway Step

On another note:  Ever since my car accident I have had a couple of issues.
Coincidence?  Was it the fact that I was rear ended?  I've had a headache since the day of the accident.
I have an SI joint issue and have had one for a few years. (hip) I have had several back surgeries beginning in 1985 and this area has deterorated over time.
I get a shot in there every couple of years to keep the pain at bay. It's been barking ever since the accident. Then this weekend it was so bad I couldn't sleep. I can't sit or lay down. It's actually best if I am standing. I called the Dr and told them about the accident just to cover my arse. If it is from this and it's something different I want them to pay for this. I have enough medical bills with Rick's issues. But if it's not no harm done.
I  do think they are going to put yellow police-type tape around my house and wrap both of us in bubble wrap so this all stops.

We rebooked our trip to Florida. Rick is able to walk and even if it is still swollen he can have a swollen foot in Florida as well as here at home right?
The pain on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the worst) he claims has been a 15. Then Saturday he said it was only a 9 or 10 and he was excited by that. Then today he wakes up and tells me it's an 8.  He can put on a pair of stretched out loafer type shoes only. But after some walking he needs to take a break for a few hours and ice it and moan for dramatic effect.  (that's a man thing trust me) And since we are going to Florida and it was orginally planned for my birthday, which was this past Friday, then I will not be a year older until we get there.
Yea, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

5 comments:

Mike said...

Interesting. I never thought about cutting out the side of a tub. I guess that saves retiling down to the floor for a shower pan.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

mike, well that depends. If you are handy and can do it yourself it may not be cost effective. These are hugely popular. No need for those 20-30K walk in tubs and a plumber to move the drain etc This is done in a couple of hours and if a door is on there a lifetime warranty on the door seal etc. So we've been doing a lot in senior living facilities. BUT only if the caregiver insists. The 90 year old will tell you they don't need any help. Hell I'm 60 and I need help sometimes. :-)

Barbara said...

You two have had some bad luck. I hope Florida doesn't turn out to be too hard on either of you. If it does, I guess you should just sit around the pool and drink cool drinks. I know that would be hard on you!

Julie H said...

Happy belated birthday! Oh wait maybe I'm still early ;)

My in-laws could probably use one of those. I'm not sure how much they actually bathe though. I think the older they get the less they think that is necessary.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Julie, thanks for the birthday wishes.
However - please tell me you mean your in laws take showers....not bathe? eeewwww!!