Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Fun, Fun, Fun

Last night as Rick and I were sitting on the patio on our sofa we kept hearing a drip, drip, drip sound. It was directly across from us and we both saw it at the same time.
We looked up and on the 2nd-floor roof we saw water dripping onto the shingles.

Rick didn't say anything and just ran like a bat out of hell. Izzy followed.
 I figured I'd better see what was causing this fire under their butts so I too went up to the 3rd floor. Rick had opened the double doors in the TV room where our furnace and hot water tank are located. In the furnace pan was water and when it became full it went out this pipe that went out the wall to the outside of the house. Not good. But it could be worse and go downstairs to the 2nd floor over my desk in my office.

So Rick called the home warranty company and got someone to come out here on Wednesday. We can't seem to get them to give us an exact time except to say this Wednesday.  
This was all on Monday evening after dinner.

This morning I smell something burning. I am on the phone with a customer so I can't really look around seriously.  As soon as I hang up I begin to hear this horrific rattling in the walls on the first floor. I run downstairs and really hear this rattling as well as the strong smell of something burning.  That scares the shit out of me so I turn off my A/C.
It's only 90 with high humidity who needs air. I am spoiled. I need air. I prefer air over heat. 

So I call the home warranty company again. This time I tell them that it's my air conditioner.
They give me a company to call. I call and they tell me they can be here by Friday. Oh no, that isn't going to work. I ask the home warranty company for someone else. They tell me the company coming out for the furnace says they can do the A/C too, but they still aren't sure of when on Wednesday. 

Honest to God if we ran our company this way we'd have no business. What the hell are they doing that they don't have a time to give me? Even a window of time, a friggin' idea if it really will be Wednesday. Then this company says, gee it sounds like it's all one unit isn't it? 
No, it isn't one unit as far as I can tell. The woman insists it is. she asked me where my furnace is. I tell her the 3rd floor. She asks where my A/C unit is, I tell her outside on my patio. Oh, well it's one unit. Could you hear me scream from frustration?
I asked the woman if she could explain that to me because I don't understand. It can be one unit but still look as though it's 2? Seriously I am asking because I want and should know this.
When I asked her she just said NO.
Again, not wanting to bitch and not get any service at all I just say, "Okay then" She moves on like it's all normal to say that to someone.

I tell the home warranty company that I would prefer someone to deal with the furnace and someone to deal with the A/C.  Give me an AC company, please. She gives me another company. They will be here tomorrow between 7 am - 11 am. I imagine I'll see them by 3 pm
You know how that goes.

Now I know why all our customers are so surprised to see us show up on time. No windows of time. We say 9 am, we are there no later than 9 am.  We say 2 pm, if the men are even thinking they could be 5 minutes late they call. Seldom are we late. Our time is very important to us and so is the customers so starting off making them wait for you is unacceptable. 
One man said to me today, well traffic here is a nightmare. Yes, one must teach your scheduler how to factor that in. But I said nothing and bit my tongue so he would show up.

Miss Izzy and I are sweating like crazy. She is panting. I am just miserable. 
I work on the 2nd floor so heat does like to rise as you know, so I am just ever so happy.
Izzy is lying on the hardwood floors downstairs which are over concrete so the floor is the coolest place to be.
She keeps moving to her spot in front of the a/c vent and then looks at me as if to say, "hey nothing is coming out"

The house is 15 yrs old. That is about the lifespan I suppose.
I'll see you all after I literally cool off.
I'm sure this will be a lot of fun the next few days.
A hotel may be in my future.

3 comments:

Mike said...

I assume you don't have a basement. Basements are the early 20th century AC.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Nope. Mike a 3 level townhome. 1st floor is the slab, everything else is up, up, up. :-)

Ms. A said...

Our power went out for the second day in a row. Thank goodness it was cloudy! Guess you could always hope for rain, to keep things cooler.

Good luck! I hate to sweat!