Friday, November 14, 2014

Random Items from My Little Head

It's all in your perspective.

I spoke to my mother last evening.
She had just run into the house when I called and she was a bit out of breath when she answered the phone.
I asked if she was okay. She responded with, "Of course I'm just old and I ran out to pay the man who plows our driveway for the year and ran back in to get the phone."

I said, "doing it in advance huh?" 
She asked what I meant. I explained that this year she was doing it before it snowed. 
You see she is the stereotypical  procrastinator so this surprised me.
She laughed and said, "Peg we got over a foot of snow today, not much really, but enough to have him plow our driveway for us.  Your dad and I just can't do this anymore. Your sister told me that it's going to continue this lake effort snowing so I wanted to pay him for the year now to be sure we're plowed."

Her comment "not much" always makes me laugh. 
I've been away long enough to think that is a lot of snow, just not for that neck of the woods. 
God knows it would paralyze the District and surrounding areas where I live.
Years ago I bought them a snow blower. But both my father and mother are too old to even do that. Dad is 87 and Mom is younger at 73 , but she had open heart surgery 2 years ago and really shouldn't be doing that stuff anymore.  So they have it done each year. 

She knows how much I want a snow-blower - it's a family joke - long story I won't go into right now.
So last night I asked if she still had the snow-blower. She said they did and she should have given it to me when I was up this past summer since I drove. 
I said, "you know I'd pay you for it"  completely forgetting that I bought it for them. 
She laughed and said, "gee you bought it for me, I think I can be real nice and just give it to you Peg."  Then we both had a good laugh.
__________________________

Yesterday while at Walgreens buying Halls mentho lyptus and Thera-Flu I saw these fleece lined leggings. It says one size fits most. I felt them and thought, ooh nice dog walking pants when it's cold. I stood and stared at the size and wondered, "what the hell is size fits most?"
Am I a most or a too much?  My pants are a 10  is that most? 
In the modeling industry that is plus size so will these fit? 

I seriously stood there just holding them and staring at these pants trying to decide if I should get them or not. A woman who worked there walked by and said, "Wondering if you are a one size fits most?"  and she laughed.   I said, "Why yes I am. Have you purchased these?  She said she did and they were too small for her.   But she was a lot larger on the bottom than me but that now made me doubtful. 
I wanted to ask her size but that would be rude like asking her age. 
She laughed and said, "Who the hell puts the size as fits most, that is just crazy."   
I agreed.  But I went and bought them anyway because she said I could bring them back. 

I put them on last night after dinner. Oooh, were they ever soft inside. 
Great to lounge around the house with a big old sweater keeping me warm. 
I am perpetually cold the last couple of years. Something changed 2 years ago and now I am always cold. I used to always be too warm. So I don't have a lot of heavy warm clothing. 
But these were comfy warm. I curled up on the sofa and watched a movie with Rick and was loving these pants. 

This morning I decided to walk Izzy wearing these. The winds were howling and to me the winds made it bitter cold. 
It's sunny and beautiful if you look out your window but walking in it wasn't so fun.
I did have on a long sweater, a scarf, gloves and a fleece coat.  This all made me decide that these comfy fleece lined pants are only good indoors. Or UNDER jeans. These are not warm enough to wear alone on a blustery 35 degree morning.  But they fit so I suppose that is something to know I am a fits most on the bottom only. Which is humorous to me. 
_____________________________

My mom was telling me that my niece got a 1700 on her SAT's. I said, Oh my goodness that is so wonderful!  I was seriously thrilled beyond belief for her.  She has had her struggles. Then as only my parents can do she says, "I think she may be wrong because that number can't be right Peg"
There it is....that wonderful encouragement and support that my parents are so damn good at.
I said, "please tell me you didn't say that to her ma"  She told me she didn't. 
God I hope not.

When I was young it would hurt me. As an adult I just laugh. Because they don't even know this is wrong. If you bring it up they get all defensive and tell you that you are being too sensitive or worse they will explain why they feel that way and they will then justify it all. Trust me the justification is far worse.

I have sisters who can't see the funny. But for some reason I do. 
It's easier that way honestly.
And as I've said over the years, when you watch it play out on TV they laugh, you have to try to do the same when it's directed at you. Our parents will never change so you have to.

But one of my sisters loves to be a victim and it's a comfortable place for her. If she couldn't bitch, moan, whine about something then her life would stop. So for her this just goes on her pile of being victimized. Sadly, it's a soft comfortable place for her.
___________________________________

Yesterday I got a text from a cousin - she sent it to all the cousins. (the ones in Florida I was visiting recently) It was a bill board with a young woman on it and it looked just like her sister. Her sister Rosie died in her mid 20's when hit by a woman driving without a license.
The driver had a seizure while driving and that was why she wasn't allowed to drive.

Anyway the bill board woman looked eerily like Rosie who passed away.
I couldn't stop staring at the billboard. It was Rosie's face. It made me sad for a moment.
Then one cousin quickly responded with, "if I saw that while driving down the highway at 65 mph I'd have flipped out."
The billboard had a number to call underneath her face.
Another cousin (her brother) wrote - "OMG, we could have called her this whole time!"
That cracked me up and changed my mood in an instant!
The rest of the comments were all hysterical.

Yep that is the majority of my family  - they see the humor and I love that!




5 comments:

Julie H said...

I'm so glad it doesn't snow here. I'd probably die.

Those pants sound nice! Weird sizing though :/ I hate taking things back, such a pain.

My oldest got a 1600 on her SATs and thought she was stupid. Kids!

How crazy with the billboard!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Julie, I hate taking things back too. Weird but I do hate it. If I remember correctly my reading/verbal was what pulled me through. I suck at math....and spelling....and science....tee hee

Mike said...

Claudia couldn't care less about taking things back. It's just another chance for her to get back into the store.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mike - that is because Claudia got the shopping gene. I HATE shopping. I wish I had that gene!!!!

Ms. A said...

Maybe I need to try to get to Walgreens for some of those pants. I'm freezing my a$$ off!