Last night I sat and read a book from cover to cover.
It is called Jennifer's Way. It is by Jennifer Esposito. Yes the actress turned bakery owner.
Once I began this book I couldn't put it down.
It was my life story. She is a sister from another mister.
There were chapters that made me cry. She went through the hell I went through.
From doctor to doctor and no answers.
I know it's become a fad to not eat gluten and even those nuts who are doing that are really still eating gluten because they aren't taking it out completely or seriously. (like all foods with maltodextrin or generic drugs or licorice or soy sauce etc) and why would they? They don't have to. I don't blame them. But they have ruined it for those of us with this disease. Late night host make the jokes about it and it drives me mad.
Why anyone would do this if it wasn't necessary makes it hard to wrap my head around.
I do it because if I don't I am physically ill, I need to be near a bathroom, I have severe stomach pains and a plethora of other symptoms too long to name.
Originally my doctor thought I just had a gluten intolerance. Then I had more testing a year later and we found that wasn't the case. The best way for me to explain this to you is you know that the magnesium issue I have talked about here....it's because of celiac.
Your gut controls so many things in your body that it boggles my mind.
You small intestine is like a shag rug for lack of a better explanation. It has all this villi and eating gluten makes your shag rug a berber...flat.
All this villi is responsible for making vitamin D3 and serotonin. Who knew that happy serotonin is made in your small intestine and not your brain right? (hence the depression)
This villi that covers your small intestine absorbs nutrients.
If you have celiac that villi is attacked by the gluten you've eaten so it becomes flat and you can no longer absorb nutrients.
You can eat and eat but you are technically malnourished. I take a boat load of supplements which I am so low in that it's scary, B vitamins, vitamin D and magnesium to name a few.
There are so many nerve problems, allergies. brain fog, anxiety, memory loss and insomnia etc. So while people think you aren't really sick, your body is telling you otherwise.
I won't bore you with even more things I've lived through the years but it was so damn nice to read this book and see someone who the public adores go through this. Lucky for her being an actress she had the insurance and money to deal with all that comes with this. That at times has been difficult for me. But whatever her profession it didn't help get diagnosed for many many years. Like me, it appears since she was very young, before teenage years and everyone just thought these were her idiosyncrasies. I heard the same exact things.
Last night I sat up reading until I finished the book. I felt for the first time that someone understood it. Someone got it. It made me feel good.
And now for the boob update.
I have to have a mammogram but I can't until after October 25th due to insurance.
You can only have 1 within 11-12 months from your last one to be covered.
So I must wait until late October before I can have this done.
To be safe I should probably wait until November 25th though.
I had my last one 11/25/13. So I will wait for a couple of months and have my damn boobs squished in a vice then and we'll see what is causing all the fuss. In the mean time I will just enjoy Izzy being my shadow. I do enjoy it and I enjoy how much Rick hates it.
And lastly, I'm sad for Scotland. I really thought this time they would be able to be independent. The nurse in my dr.'s office is from Scotland. I asked her yesterday how she would vote for this and she said and I quote, "I'd vote bloody YES for God's sake"
I know she's disappointed. I told her I feared it would be people voting along the lines of the devil you know vs. the devil you don't know. I don't operate like that but I sadly know a lot of people who do and I think that must have played a great deal in this scenario, especially with the older people.
7 comments:
Can't believe how much this sounds like fluoroquinolone toxicity.
Cora...check your email
nice explanation on how it works. One of my book club ladies has it too. I'm always amazed at the good stuff she comes up with that she can eat when we're at her house :)
Sucks on the insurance :( Scott was going to get some testing done but our insurance only covers $50 per office visit so if they did a $400 test it wouldn't be covered so he cancelled it. Suck ass insurance. He's starting a new job in a couple weeks so after 90 days he can have Kaiser. Guess we'll find out how well they work.
Julie - I so understand the insurance thing. Didn't have any for 8 long years. Thank you Pres. Obama. I now have insurance. It's good too.
but I still hate insurance companies. Thankfully I'm not really dying or this would make me mad having to wait. It was a typo - I have to wait until November 25th.
Great huh?
Lucky you, you had NO insurance. Apparently if you have a small amount you can't get any more now. I was trying to find where i can buy some extra but the only ones I can find don't cover any "pre-exisiting conditions".
exactly this about the gluten.
i am afraid that faddish bandwagon jumpers who have decided that no gluten = good nutrition are going to cause a glut of products that are supposed to be GF but aren't.
flask - yes and no. A new FDA rule stipulates that any food labeled gluten-free must contain less than 20 parts per million of gluten, considered harmless for most celiac patients but not ALL. Besides a real gluten free person (celiac) would never buy anything without reading the label. I don't care what the front of the box/bag says. I know that hydrolyzed vegetable protein is hidden gluten and I'll get so sick. Everything except real food has gluten. So basically it's meats poultry veggies and nuts for me. And thank God wine. :-)
Post a Comment