I'm sure by now you have all heard about the 16 year old shit head named Ethan in Texas who was drunk driving and killed 4 people.
He was over 3x the legal limit of drunkenness.
But he was a white very wealthy kid in Texas. His father probably knew the damn judge.
Instead of any prison time he gets to go to a private rehab over looking the water.
The judge wanted to send him to rehab so he could develop into a productive citizen and not send him to jail.
His attorney put a psychologist on the stand who said this was "Affluenza."
This poor drunk kid didn't know right from wrong because he was rich.
He was blameless for driving drunk and causing the crash.
This condition stems from having wealthy, privileged parents who never set limits for him.
Okay let me get this straight if you are a white rich kid you get off killing people because your parents didn't have the time to set limits for you.
(Tell the Melendez Brothers that as they rot in jail)
The attorney and judge claim, "As a human being he knew no boundaries or right from wrong"
It is hard for my head not to explode as I type this.
So let's take that theory a bit further.
You live in Texas and you are a poor black kid. You parents work several jobs.
They don't have a lot of time to spend with their kid but for the opposite reason as the rich kid. He gets drunk with his friends and plows into several cars and kills everyone.
What do you think the chances are that he gets off for "poorfluenza" ?
Do you think the jury and judge in Texas would let him off so that he could become a productive citizen as the judge stated was necessary?
Let's go a step further. It's a rich black kid and he did the same. Think he'd get off?
Sadly that affluenza wouldn't fly for this black kid and you damn well know it.
It's Texas for heaven's sake.
I would bet the farm that this kids parents paid off a lot of people.
The whole thing disgusts me.
When I was growing up I had more respectful fear of my father than any police officer etc.
If this happened to me being a white upper middle class kid my father would have let them throw the book at me. He would want me to learn a lesson.
This kid learned a lesson all right - he can do whatever the @#$! he wants because he is white, rich, and lives in Texas where those 3 things are of utmost importance.
8 comments:
i bet the people he killed were not rich white people.
coz when you kill THOSE mofos, you go straight to death row, especially in texas.
I doubt Texas is the only place this happens.
flask - Agreed!
Cora, no but Texas has a history that is not pretty. Plz understand that I dont think everyone there is bad but if I weren't white I sure as hell wouldn't live there. "Good ole boys" mentality in law enforcement.
Somebody here killed 4 people in a drunk driving accident and got 8 years in prison. But then there was the NFL player here that killed someone while driving drunk. Probation.
Cora's right, it does happen in other places, it's just not making the news.
Case in point. When my youngest was in high school, one of his best friends came from a VERY wealthy family AND she was an only child. They would go out shopping together but it got to the point where he wouldn't go with her. Why? She had an obsession for shoplifting. He asked her why especially since she had her own credit card with no limit, and she said she just love the thrill of it. I truly believe she did it in hopes of getting caught.
The problem with the case you cited: sending him to a fancy rehab is just going to reinforce the problem that the attorney argued about the parents wealth :(
it happens other places, but texas is at the forefront of incarceration of brown people and the aggressive execution of brown people. texas is also at the forefront of a number of other regressive social policies.
flask...ding ding ding!!! You got what I was trying to say. Thank you.
that was absolutely shameful. I am raising a 17 year old who knows and appreciates the value of money and knows there are boundaries and repercussions.
Post a Comment