Monday, December 16, 2013

Holiday Party

Went to a holiday party Saturday.

Each couple had to bring 2 bottles of wine and an appetizer large enough to feed their number guests. They gave us the final rsvp number a few days before.

I don't like these kinds of parties to be honest.
I feel if you can't afford to have a party then don't have a party.
But I also know that's my problem not the rest of the worlds. It's just me.

So I made my appetizer and brought different dipping goodies for it.
We also brought our obligatory 2 bottles of wine.
We walked there which is a nice way to go to a Christmas party.

We were also invited to another same night. That one we go to every year.
(I only bring a hostess gift there, they don't ask us to feed their guests. )
We thought we'd stop in at the party where we had to bring everything and then hop over to the other soiree.

We were having a perfectly nice time at the first party so we stayed there.
Besides we brought some really fine wine and we wanted to drink some of it. 
The food was good Rick told me. I couldn't eat a damn thing due to all of it was encased in dough or it was pasta or it was crackers etc. Gluten be damned!!  But I drank!!

We left around 11:15p and as we began our walk home we could hear the other party.
But we just weren't up for walking over there. 
We got home, walked the dog and crawled into bed.

I in no way felt I had too much to drink. Neither did Rick.
We sat and chatted for a bit before falling asleep. We were just tired.

But Sunday morning we were dragging. Not like we were hung over, more like we were old and feeling this. Rick made a joke that this was past our bedtime.  Probably more the case.

Yesterday ended up being a day of lying on the sofa catching up on shows from the week. We even watched an old movie favorite of ours, Bandits. Love Billy Bob Thornton in that movie.

I managed to make a few different types of cookies for my UPS driver, doggy day care folks and the like. Rick tasted everything and then moaned he ate too much.
Silly man.

Today I must get all my gifts out in the mail.
The cost of shipping is just double what you pay. That is how I plan the whole damn holiday.
Since no one we buy gifts for live here we must figure shipping as well.
Shipping ain't cheap but we do find the US Postal service to work best for us.
Faster, cheaper and so far over the last couple of years it has been better for us than UPS.

For this holiday season we are keeping our local post office busy.
I'll probably bring them some cookies too.

I'm counting down the days until this holiday is over.
Is it December 26th yet?

13 comments:

Julie H said...

When I was doing my Christmas parties I asked everyone to bring an appetizer type dish. Mostly because I didn't know how many people were going to show up and that way there is something new and different to try.

I haven't bought one present yet. We finally got the last months worth of disability money for Scott on Friday night. We celebrated by going grcoery shopping.

mamahasspoken said...

I.HATE.BLOGGER!!!!!!!
I just wrote you a book about tacky parties where they tell you what to bring and blogger tells me whoops! Try again.
Maybe later.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Oh Bonnie I hate when that happens! I get it a great deal of the time.

I normally ask if I can bring anything when a friend is having a party. BUT to have a party where you have to provide the drinks and food because they don't wish to - then don't have a party.
If it is a progressive party then that is the concept. She actually made a comment that its easy to have a party like this. DUH? Yea, what did you do exactly? So this party cost me $80 and she asked us to come. Her cost $0.
I should have had my own party. Lesson learned. :-)

mamahasspoken said...

OK I'll try this one more time. The tackiest party I was invited to was a birthday party for a good friend of mine. I was told I needed to bring a covered dish and then the person who was having the party proceeded to tell me what covered dishes were left to bring including the meat! I was dumbfounded! Then she went on to tell me that another friend worked for a caterer and would be 'arranging' the dishes before the meal hence I would need to make sure that the dish I was to bring was brought on a certain type of platter! I told her what I thought of her 'party' and declined to attend (mainly too because she told me my hubby wasn't invited but then told me how some of the other friends' hubbies were invited. When I asked her about that, her excuse was that my hubby wouldn't know the other hubbies. So What???!!!!!).

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

And this is why I'm anti-social Bonnie. :-)
Wow that was a harsh one. And not having your husband was weird. I'd have done what you did.

If I invite you I will feed you, have a bar and non alcoholic drinks so everyone has something. I only want my guests to enjoy themselves and relax.
Here is the definition of a host of a party http://dictionary.reverso.net/english-cobuild/host

mamahasspoken said...

Oh and I forgot, she also wanted $20 to go towards a gift for the birthday girl! REALLY!?!?!?!?! You are having a party where everyone is bringing the food and drinks AND money?!?!?! Yea, tacky doesn't even begin to describe this one....

Mike said...

11:15 going to bed time? No no. 11:15 is get on the computer till 3 in the morning time.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mike - we got up at 3am because Izzy had to poo. Does that count? Then we got up at 5:30 for good. So as you go to bed we're getting up.

LL Cool Joe said...

If I'm not working I tend to go to bed around 11.30pm but I'm always up at about 5.00am, sometimes earlier, I just don't sleep that much.

I've been to parties where we've been asked to supply one of courses, and because everyone knows I don't cook, we usually bring the cheese and crackers and port! :D

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Joe - I think I may not have articulated this well. When you are asked to bring a dish that is just fine. That is in fact normal.
these are not 'friends" just met them last year, never been to their home etc. She sent an invitation to a party. We RSVP'd.
Week later she calls and says I would like you to bring a dish large enough to feed all my guests. Something, "substancial" to eat she said. And bring at least 2 bottles of wine. Then a week later she called and said her RSVP number was higher so bring enough to feed all these people.

When we got there we found that she made every one do this. She made nothing. She bragged about it. When we were leaving she said this was so easy let's do this again. EASY? she did nothing except open her door to her home. I can have all my friends throw a party and I just come down my stairs like a movie star too.
I don't think anyone gets what I'm trying to say and I am not sure how else to explain.

oh well. I'm a bitter old broad.
Have a wonderful holiday Joe.
See you next year.

flask said...

potlucks are lovely. if i have one, this is how i word it: i will be providing soup, bread, cheese, and non-alcoholic beverages. bring whatever else you wish.

if i am having an actual dinner, I COOK IT. don't you DARE bring a dish that isn't on my menu.

and if i can;t afford to have a party, i don;t have one. if i haven't the time to put one together, i don;t have it.

if you want me to come to a party and you want your guests to foot the bill, get bent. not only will i decline your "invitation", but i'll not be attending any of your other "parties" either.

if i want to be ordered around, i'll join the army.

and two bottles of wine? for real???

newfangled facebook style people have way too big a sense of entitlement.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

flask you got it!! I love you.

Carma Sez said...

I just came back from the post office- a tiny package about 4 inches by six inches by 4 inches - $11.25 to mail - prices have escalated.

Next time I put the stuff in one of those puffy envelopes. I think it comes out much cheaper than the boxes. or maybe I'm wrong