Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Tuesday Random Thoughts

**A thing that has reared it's ugly head for me is a saying I have been hearing a great deal.
Yesterday I had too many customers call us and say "you people" to me.
I had a man call and after I said hello and how may I help you he said the following:
Hey do you people do this?
Do you people come to my city?

I had a lot of those "you people" over the last month.
Is it just me or do you say that when you call someone for service?
I wouldn't think of saying that when I called a person to come fix my fireplace, "Hey do you people fix fireplaces?
First of all I called a company who's website says they do.
Second of all it's rude to me to say, "you people"

I ask everyone who calls where they heard of us.
I do this for marketing reasons.What advertising is paying off?
Was it a referral? (we have a referral program for vendors as well as customers)
So when all of the people yesterday told me they were on our website I really wondered why they would ask if "you people" do this when they just saw that we did.
It just bugs me! Just add it to my ever growing list of pet peeves.

**Rick's daughter got engaged this weekend.
Yikes a wedding! I am trying not to think about it.
Hopefully it's a very long engagement.

**Aside from the too few quips from Ricky Gervais the Golden Globes were a snooze fest.
I want more snarky Ricky and less what are you wearing?  Less of the winners thanking their God and their kids. It's a professional environment. Thank your personal family and your personal God alone or at home. At work thank those that helped you achieve this win. End of story - go sit down.

**I must say the childish head bands of the beautiful Michelle Williams and Charlize Theron were horrific as well as the Golden Globes. Seriously they looked like those head bands they put on babies. What the hell were they thinking? Someone told them this was hip and they just did it? No, no, no.

**We pay an enormous amount of money monthly to take credit cards.
It works like this if you aren't aware.
The bank charges an activation fee.
They also charge a monthly fee just to be able to offer credit cards to our customers.
They charge fees for each credit card you use.
They vary. If the card gets you points it takes more money from me.
If a card is a debit card there is a different fee. Then there are all the fees the credit card company charges the bank that I pay. American Express is outrageous. If the bill is $500 American Express gets almost $100. So we dropped Amex.  It's illegal to charge more if you take a credit card so can't make up that money just because I let you use your card.
And if you get points on your American Express I barely get my money for the damn job.
We are billed at the end of each month for this service of taking credit cards.
It can vary from $300 a month to 4 times that amount.
The more our customers use credit cards the more they take from us. I hate it.
I prefer customers give us checks but we can't say that of course.
It is a necessary evil. The worst part?
When a customer uses a credit card we don't get the money for a couple of days either. 
It goes from the card service to the bank and then to us.
A great day is only waiting 24 hours for the money.
Amex took up to 5 days. The others were usually up to 48 hrs and we got our money.

But now there is something new to replace that old banking system.
Oh how I am loving this so far.
I was watching a special that Larry King had on CNN with a group of celebrities over dinner and they all just talked about different topics. The man who invented Twitter was talking about his newest thing called The Square.  You put this little square on your IPhone or Android phone or your IPad. You can swipe credit cards and link it to your bank and no fees except one. The Square is small and fits in the middle of your palm small.

I got online immediately to check this out. It seemed too good to be true.
I continued to do research for a week.
While I still believed it had to be too good to be true but I had to try.
I signed the company up and we received the Square.
There is no activation fee, there is no monthly fee, there are no special fees from the banks or from the card companies. One fee of 2.75% of each sale. That is all we pay.
While that seems high when some of mine were 1.35 and more by the time you add up all the other fees it wasn't higher at all. It was all an illusion.
Trust me we did the math every which way we could.

I have spent the last month going over the numbers. It is working!
I get the money in 24 hrs.
They tell you 24 - 48 hrs to protect themselves I suppose.
They take the money from you off the deposit immediately.
I like that because there is no surprise at the end of the month of what your fee will be debited from your account. That is wonderful!
This is a huge savings every month from our bottom line.

Before we got this when a customer wanted to use a credit card they would give it to Rick.
He would call the office. I would input this into the computer and it would send them an email confirmation receipt. Rick would also give them an invoice as well.
We have now eliminated the need for Rick or a technician to call the office.

This tiny little thing attaches to Rick's phone.
When he is done with a job he can now take their card, swipe it in his phone and a receipt is sent to their email and he's done.
Saves time and money!!

When they sell stock I will be running to invest in this puppy.
You should too.
We have told several contractors who have all signed up.
That means we have all left banks.
No one is crying here about that!
 

17 comments:

Lizbeth said...

I have never heard of the square. Interesting. I knew credit card companies charged a lot for me using my card, I just didn't know how much. That sounds like highway robbery to me.

Wedding in the family??? Congrats!!!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Lizbeth - wish I could share the excitement - i'll share on the blog about the wedding fears.
And it is highway robbery!

Mike said...

I don't see how 'The Square' doesn't just add 2.75% to the bill. This is to much magic. Somebody's going to get stuck in the end.

Does Rick have a spare square?

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mike - Rick has a spare Square need one? you could charge for your services - link it to a new account and Mrs. Mike will never be the wiser. :-)

Carolyn said...

My trainer just started using that thing too and loves it! It makes her life so much easier now!

I didn't watch the golden globes, just went online to look at all the outfits. I love Michelle Williams outfit. Since I recently cut my hair off, I am now becoming obsessed with headbands. They can just be so easy and cute to throw on!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Carolyn,
we are light years apart on this one. Too funny!! Her short hair is adorable. The headband is horrific. Your hair is much longer and a headband would work for you.
Eew for a pixie cut.
I didn't like her dress either. Matronly. Very much like a victorian table cloth. I love her and she is so damn pretty with short hair. just not her night for ME. Have you seen her on GQ? No clothes at all - well bra and panties.

Julie H said...

Headbands, bows and flowers on women is a latest fad. Can't bring myself to do it, feel like a 2 year old!

Sounds great on the cc thing! I know when I used to work in retail I got to see the bills for the charge accounts and they were horrible. Around here the gas stations give you a "discount" if you pay cash. I said really they are just charging you for the cc, not sure how they get away with it.

Unknown said...

I'm no good with numbers (better with words), but you've explained this in a way that I can empathize. *sigh* It seems as if the money goes out faster than it comes in.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Julie - yes we have talked about how gas stations used to do that around here. Not anymore. Didn't think that was legal anymore. Hmm....

Queen Bee - yes the money goes out faster than it comes in. I wish I could just win a huge lottery and say I'm outta here. :-)

Ms. A said...

Anything to save time and money, is a definite PLUS! While you may have the ability to earn more money... you can NEVER replace lost time!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Ms.A - words of wisdom from a wise woman.

Carolyn said...

I did see the GQ pictures. she looks amazing. It's weird to see her get all sexed up though, she is usually so reserved in her styling.

Anonymous said...

this square thing sounds interesting. and congrats to you for being able to stick it to the bank!

weddings. ick. maybe she'll elope.

on a day to day basis i continue to be appalled by the phone skills of the general public. my big pet peeve is when they call the store and i answer and launch into my phone greeting, "thank you for calling yadda yadda yadda. this is tammie how can i help you" and they just start asking questions without greeting me back. i dont expect every caller to be my best friend but a simple hello will do.

mamahasspoken said...

Haven't heard of the square before either. There is a bakery that I love to visit but I always have to make sure I have cash on hand when I do because they have a HUGE sign on their cash register that says that all transactions have to be more than $5.00. Everyone tells me they can't do that and if the bank finds out, they will fine them but hey, that sign has been there for the past 5+ years and still going...

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Bonnie/Mamma - I think you can do whatever you want it's your business. If I don't want to take a credit card for less than $5 I can say that. What I can't do is tell them I will charge them more for using a credit card to offset the money I have to pay the banks/credit card companies.

www.square.com

Anonymous said...

also, along the lines of credit cards: the last time i took lucy to the pediatrician there was a sign posted saying that you'd get 10% off if you paid with a check or exact change. i thought that was odd. is that illegal?

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Tammie we heard it wasn't legal from our friend who is an attorney. Perhaps its different state to state. I have no idea. Oh rick is saying its not legal....but what does he know for sure.