Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Holiday Hangover and Other Random Notes

Who would ever believe me when I say it’s good to be back at work this morning?
Izzy is at doggie day care. I am working in a big ole baseball shirt and have bed head.
I did not make breakfast for anyone and more importantly my house is empty.
I love this.

The weekend of company was nice enough I guess but I am ever so grateful it is over.
We had a wicked storm on Friday night and the power went out at 7:00p.m.
I had purchased an ice cream cake from Dairy Queen for my step daughter’s birthday.
I was hoping it didn’t melt and become a puddle before the power came back on.
The power was out for 5 ½ hours. The cake’s frosting design was droopy but it stayed in tact thank goodness.

I took Tia’s advice from Cottage by the Sea and I did a lot of delegating to the four 20 some things to do a lot of stuff. It was wonderful and I didn’t waver. I kept hearing her words in my head. Tia, I think my husband is going to thank you as well. He kept saying, “I’m so proud of you, see isn’t that easy?” Truth be told it wasn’t easy but I did it and it got easier.
But back to reality today and of work and shoes.

In other random notes.....
I take off my eyeglass a lot. I don’t need them for far away.
I need them for the computer and for reading. So I wear the dreaded bifocals.
Oh I did the progressive style for 2 days once.
I had 3 areas of which to read from . Top, middle and bottom.
Distance, computer and books. It was nuts.
I was forever moving my head around like I was mentally challendged.
As my husband lovingly told me, “it looked like I was that kid who needs to wear a helmet all the time” Great.

So I brought them back since I was struggling so and bought myself a regular pair of bifocals. The sales gal was young and sweet and with all her parts taunt and perky and she kept telling me I was too young to have them show that line in my glasses.
What the hell did she know she neither wore glasses or had to lift her boobs to get them in her bra.
To me that automatically disqualifies her from telling me what to do about bifocals.
So, I got bifocals. I put them on and take them off all damn day.
I resorted to a beautiful Pandora type chain around my neck until it too broke.
Honestly we old farts are just breaking down every time I turn my feeble body around. Anyhoo, this weekend I had them on to read the brownie box and as I was cleaning up the kitchen I think they were hidden under the plastic grocery bags and I just grabbed things and threw them away.  

Because the lake house is in the boonies we do not have garbage pickup.
Of course this was the day Rick took the garbage to the dump/recycling area.
I noticed my glasses were missing when I tried to read the label of something in the house.
I realized instantly what I had done. But they were long gone.
He wanted to go back to the dump. Yes, like he would find my glasses – God love him he can’t see shit either anymore and it was now dark and oh hell I lost my glasses!
Oh sure, I spent the rest of the weekend turning over cushions and looking under beds etc to possibly find that I “forgot” where I had them last.
But they never surfaced. So now I am wearing a cheap Costco pair that are not quite the right strength and this is all a bit blurry.

Someone was telling me that you can get contacts where the one eye is for close up and the other eye is for computer and distance. I MAY look into that. However if it is anything like those damn trifocals I am not so sure I will go that route. I mean the trifocals had me moving my head all over the damn place and looking like I wasn’t quite “right”
So will I now be blinking and/or holding one eye shut and moving my head back and forth trying to read?  That should be oh so attractive don't you think? 
I can hear Rick now, "Oh, look that woman over there twitching, that's my lovely bride."

My oh my getting old sucks enough but to have to deal with all that humiliation of looking like I’m old and oh so mentally unhinged I am not so sure I’m ready for any of that.

But looking at the bright side my gin bottle is easy to spot.
The bottle of  Tanqueray is a pretty dark green and it’s been the same shape for years which is quite helpful in a black out or if you are older like me.
I won’t need no stinkin’ glasses to feel for that bottle in the liquor store.

I’ll be just fine.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You had me with gin, honey. What a funny post.
Mary

R.H. Ducky said...

hey lady, i've missed ya! glad you survived the company :) that SUCKS about your glasses. i would be lost without mine seeing as how i am currently out of contacts. yay for alcohol!

Gal Friday said...

Good to hear that the DQ ice cream cake *just* made it!
And, that IS a very pretty bottle(I am a sucker for a pretty bottle, whether it holds perfume, wine or beer...or hard likka!)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Ah then Gal Friday you would have loved my Cabo Wabo tequila bottle I bought this weekend. It has the scenery of Cabo on the back of the label so you can see it inside. Cool and pretty. Belvedere vodka is cool too but I'm not a big vodka gal but love the bottles.

Liz Mays said...

I need those bifocals too, but don't they make progressive ones where you don't have to have the line. But I know I'd be doing the same thing you are.

"Cottage By The Sea" said...

I'm so proud of you for delegating! It's not the perfect solution. Not inviting anyone to your respite place would be where that solution lies but, if you gotta you gotta, and delegation is the answer!

I had to start with the readers when I was about 35. Then a couple of years ago my far vision started to go. Putting them on to read, (ANYTHING), taking them off to see 6' ahead of me, I had glasses in every room, on my head, in my purse and every other location known to man kind. I can't enumerate how many times a day I was standing around frusterated to no end, cussing that I couldn't find my glasses and one of my kids said, "They're on your head mom. Matter of fact there's two on your heard." That's when I looked into Lasik surgery. We'll have to miss all vacations in the next couple of years however, it was worth every penny. Near and Far, I can see it with no more glasses. Best thing I ever did for myself. I don't care if my boobs are pancakes or my face and butt sags but, being free from glasses (bifocals, trifocals, contacts) nothing worked for me, is worth everything!

Sue said...

I did the different strength contacts. I found I kept closing one eye depending on what I was looking at. That was just a little too weird. Now I have distance only contacts so if I want to read I need readers, too. Oh, yay! Now when I go out I have sunglasses on my face or on top of my head and reading glasses hung on the neck of my shirt. I tell myself I'm starting a new trend. Old people, the next big thing.

Jenny said...

Sounds like work might be a small vacation after all that! Love Sue's comment! I'm with her!