One year we had guests who were bringing their children. I baked some chocolate cupcakes with homemade vanilla crème centers. You know like a Hostess cupcake. I frosted them with chocolate frosting and white piping just like a Hostess version. When they arrived the cupcakes were on the table in a glass dome container. After the luggage was put away, the kids put on their suits & we adults made a few cocktails and off we went to play in the backyard/water.
When it was lunch time we went up to the house and made a quick and easy lunch and one of the kids asked if they could have a cupcake. I said, “Sure if it’s okay with your mom it is just fine with me sweetie, just help yourself.”
Well then I learned that she does not allow them to have this type of food. I was feeling like shit. It went something like this.....She told her daughter, "NO you know you aren't allowed to have them & then your brother will be begging."
"But Mom she made them for us didn't you Aunt Peggy? "
"If you continue to argue with me you’re both going to bed."
Yikes. This is all my fault!!!
So here they are all pretty on a pedestal glass dome container for the world to see and they aren’t allowed to have any. I asked the mother after the kids left the room if they could have some later or was it just not right now at lunch time. She said, No, Never.
We went back outside and I actually forgot about it.
Then later in the day after the sun went down I walked into the kitchen to find the kids just staring at the cupcakes and I was mortified. Literally looking at them on the table like an exhibit at the zoo.
So here they are all pretty on a pedestal glass dome container for the world to see and they aren’t allowed to have any. I asked the mother after the kids left the room if they could have some later or was it just not right now at lunch time. She said, No, Never.
We went back outside and I actually forgot about it.
Then later in the day after the sun went down I walked into the kitchen to find the kids just staring at the cupcakes and I was mortified. Literally looking at them on the table like an exhibit at the zoo.
I didn’t know what to do. I didn’t want to walk over and just yank them away for heaven’s sake. But I felt horrible that they were standing there staring at something yummy they weren’t allowed to have and that I had made just for them. I asked if they wanted some watermelon. They didn’t and really can you blame them? They have chocolaty goodness staring back at them for God’s sake. I felt like the worst hostess ever!So I asked if they saw the play station in the game room. They hadn’t so they ran downstairs. Whew!
In the mean time I grabbed my hubby and said, “Run these over to the neighbors – they’ll eat them.” He looked at me and said, “But I love these why are you giving them all away?”
I explained the situation to him and he said he wanted to save one. I looked at this grown ass man and said, “C’mon now Rick they don’t need to see you eat them while they would love one - they have literally been staring at these for awhile so get over to the neighbors before they see you leave with them. And eat one over there or something you big baby. It’s not like I can’t make more for you later”
When he came back from the neighbors – who were thrilled by the way - He gave the mom shit for not letting the kids have just 1 for a treat from their “Aunt” Peggy and “Uncle” Rick.
She laughed and said, “You want one don’t you Rick? I didn't say you couldn't.”
But she was strong in her conviction that her children will not have excess sugar or junk food or eat things that are not healthy. Good mom I know. I just can’t wrap my head around it for a treat though. I bought ice cream treats too but they couldn’t have those either. Thankfully they didn't see those. After the cupcake "incident" I asked the mom first when they weren't around.
I was a bad hostess that year. I just thought of summer things I liked as a kid and those 2 things came to mine. Ice cream and cupcakes and I love to bake so easy fix. WRONG.
So now I ask everyone who is coming. What can I feed your children, what do they like, not like, any allergies to food etc? Makes everyone’s life feel better that way.
The grown ups will eat anything ….even that mom who wouldn’t let her kids. When they went to bed it was junk, alcohol and cigarettes. While they are awake she is a saint.
Good thing I didn’t have kids. I'm no saint and I’d go straight to hell I'm afraid.
3 comments:
Those kids as adults are going to love, Love, LOVE all the sweets and candy since they were denied them as kids. Everything in moderation!
Have fun entertaining all of your friends!
i agree with tallulah....everything in moderation.
and i think it was very rude of the mother to deny the children the treats that were made especially for them. by not allowing her children to have a cupcake, she denied you the pleasure of seeing them enjoy what you made for them.
You know I agree with both of you -but then I feel guilty that I do. It's that friggin Italian Catholic upbringing.
I mean really - 1 cupcake won't make the kid fat and isn't that what a vacation is about? It's not like it's a steady diet of crap. Honestly I was never allowed to have pop when I was growing up but when we stayed over at my Aunt's house we always got Pepsi. My mom knew and she also knew it was a treat when we were at her sisters house. She also knew we had it when we were at family parties. It was no big deal. She just didn't have it at our home. To this day I don't really like pop but the difference is I never was deprived so I think that you guys are on to something!
Post a Comment