Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Extending Lives

Monday I had this lovely conversation with a customer who sent us an email over the weekend while we were closed. Just another reason I am now misanthropic.

Here is the back story......She listed her name and her address as Alexandria VA. She made sure to use DR. before her name which lead me to believe this was academia versus medical. Those academic types feel the need to do that for some reason. If she was a man I would assume it was a small penis. Who knows what this woman's problem was.....but apparently she had several.

She did not elaborate as to her needs for a quote but left a phone number that was not a local area code. Now like most of you know the home phone as a land line phone has gone the way side like the phrase, "getting jiggy with it".
I am flanked by neighbors who only have cells phones. The neighbors to my right have a Michigan phone number. The neighbors to my left have a North Carolina number. I get out of town area codes all day long so that is not something that would be a red flag for me. People move, they use their cells phones. We live in a very transient area.

So at 9:00a.m. on Monday morning I called the woman who left me an email on Sunday.
Me: Hi this is Peggy from XYZ company returning Dr. XYZ email from over the weekend is she available?

Man: Who the hell is this?

Me: repeat above.

Man: She isn't available.....and now mumbling something to someone else about TILE

Woman comes on phone: SO WHAT IS YOUR BOTTOM LINE?

Me: Pardon me?

Woman: Are you stupid?

Me: Ma'am this is Peggy from XYZ. I am responding to your email request. What can I help you with this morning?

Woman: Okay so you are STUPID. I want a quote - what the hell is your bottom line?

Me: Would you like me to list quotes for all our services or is there one in particular you are interested in? (bitch didn't tell me if it was tub conversions or reglazing of a tub, tile or sink)

Woman: Okay stupid, I want to know how much it costs to reglaze my tub and be quick you have called me in California and you got me in the middle of my morning routine.

Me: I apologize ma'am I didn't know that you were on the west coast because the form stated a local address. I can give you a quote but I have to ask a few questions about your tub first.

Woman: So not only are you rude to call me at this hour but you are stupid (heavy sigh of disgust)


Me: (before she could say anything else): Well let me make this simple for you. If you have a small sink, with absolutely no damage, and it has never been reglazed before it costs $$.

Woman: ITS A BATHTUB. (like i was deaf)

Me: clawfoot, garden, jacuzzi or standard?

Woman: Oh my God you are driving me nuts!

Me: If it is a standard size tub and has never been reglazed before and we do it in white and it has absolutely no damage it will cost $$$$.

Woman: Well I never.....

Me: I didn't hear the rest because I hung up. I couldn't continue to be nice unless my head exploded and she wasn't worth the mess that would have made.

As Maxine says on the Hallmark card - Science has extended peoples lives - don't you wish you could choose who's life was extended or not?

No comments: