Late yesterday afternoon we drove down to our lake home. It’s a 3 ½ - 4 hr drive for us. Hubby has a job today down in this area. He was asked if he would train someone about 30 minutes from here and how can you pass up coming down to our lake home and getting paid for it? I forward the office phones to here and bring the laptop and I can still work. It’s nice to work in a different environment. Although I must say in summer especially as I sit here and look out the window at the water and the boat I want to be out there instead of at the mercy of the phone and laptop. But then I remember that it could be worse and when I’m done I can walk down the back yard to the dock and have a cocktail while my feet dangle in the water.
Even a bad work day here is better than a bad work day anywhere else.
You know what else I noticed today?
I am sitting here at my kitchen table as a make-shift desk and looking at my surroundings.
Up north in the city we have a beautiful 3 level townhome. Mahogany wood floors and 12ft ceilings and nicely appointed for the most part. I love our townhome. Here our home is nice on 1 acre lot with 125 ft. of waterfront. We have lesser furnishings and I would say it's definiely a more modest of a home with fewer conveniences but here I am more calm and laid back than most days.
In the city we have all the conveniences that we have come to take for granted.
Little conveniences that I love like a garbage disposal, city water, garbage pick up, stores galore, Costco and people who know the value of time management.
Here I deal with a well so no garbage disposal, a drought last year that had us a bit concerned of a well going dry. We don’t have garbage pickup so every couple of days you have to drive to an assigned garbage area to drop off your garbage. (in summer you can find this place by the lovely aroma of garbage in 100 degree heat)
I miss any type of shopping that most of America is familiar with and God knows I have withdrawal during the summer months here for Costco.
The people here move slowly. If there is a word that means slower than slowly that would be the word I would choose. I don’t know such a word but everyone here doesn’t really pay any mind to a watch or the clock. This can make this city girl and her city hubby go crazy!
This morning I had an appointment for 10:30a.m. It’s already 11:30a.m. I bet they won’t be here until 2:00pm if I’m lucky at all. I called to reconfirm and they said I was the first appointment of the day so they should be here on time. Although they wanted to point out they have a 3 hour window. That made me laugh. 3 hour window and I am the very 1st appointment of the day. See what I mean? If they do show up at all that is more than most down here. We have made several appointments over the years for an assortment of contractors, landscapers, cable, phone, etc and most don’t show up and don’t call. When you call them they laugh in that slow way and say that “we’ll be there” as though my time means diddly shit. (take “slow” any way you want…mental or in rhythm) Usually we only have a couple of days here unless we are on vacation so we don’t have time for them to “get here”. Aaargh!
But having said all of that here is what I notice each and every time I get here.
My blood pressure lowers and my shoulders relax and I am so laid back (for me) and calm it’s like I’m in Jamaica and “every tings irie mon”.
I open the door,I drop my belongs on a chair and immediately walk out back and take in the lake air, sit on the porch and a calm just comes over me. I can not explain it but I so wish I was articulate enough to explain it to you all. As long as I just hang around my small slice of heaven I am a very happy camper. (going into town here frustrates me and makes my blood pressure go up but that’s another day ….)
See the picture on the right by my name? That is a picture of a bottle of wine floating here at the Lake. Yea, do a lot of that here. That view is from our cove off our dock. When I’m here I don’t care what clothes I am wearing but what bathing suit is dry or where my flip flops may be. When I’m here I don’t care about putting on my makeup just putting on my sunscreen. When I am here I don’t care if my window treatments need updating but how fast can I get in that hammock with a good book? When I’m here I don’t worry about what to make for dinner because neither of us care as long as we have ice for the cocktails. I have no cares here and that is so priceless.
But why can’t we take that home with us each time we leave? That’s what I wonder.
Today it is only 65 degrees so I am not sunning but I will be in the hammock later with something to read, a great beverage(wink, wink)and I think I hear a nap coming on.
Now if I can just get my hands on a Cadbury Egg - man the weekend would be complete.
Happy Easter Weekend Every body!
No comments:
Post a Comment