Don't know if you heard but there are protesters here in our nation's capital (or is that capitol?)
Now that in and of itself is not that unusual but this one really fries my arse.
They are protesting the National Spelling Bee.
Yep, that's right the kids who like to spell and read the dictionary are getting protested.
Why waste time protesting BP and the mess they are causing our earth?
Why waste time protesting the forgotten in Haiti?
C'mon this is important for all the lazy American's!!
They want to have our spelling simplified.
Now speaking on behalf of all terrible spellers, which I am their leader, I understand that spelling is difficult for some. But do we have to dumb down everything?
There is an elementary principal in the protesting bunch who states that "the current language obstructs 40 percent of the population from learning how to read, write and spell."
With that logic and my oh so poor math skills I sometimes don't have enough digits to do math correctly. They could help. Perhaps they can get rid of fractions, that would be most helpful to me as well. And then there are those pesky little lines on a ruler. They annoy and confuse the hell out of me as well.
Who needs all that 1/16th of an inch stuff anyways?
This crazy group actually passed out literature that tells us that they think it makes more sense to have "fruit" spelled as "froot" and "slow" should be "slo". This isn't texting people!
I can't spell a lick. Sometimes my words are so far off spell check says, "WTF are you trying to say here Margaret we have no options for you?"
But even this protest makes my head explode.
This is just another way of showing we American's as dumb and lazy.
This is actually quite sad to me.
But I suppose we have to give them props for getting their lazy butts out of bed to the protest line by noon yesterday.Now jumping tracks to the 1980's.
Came across this photo that made us laugh last night.
This was a trip to Ft. Myers Florida in the late 80's.
Here Rick is sitting in front of a huge sign that says NO ALCOHOL.I never saw the sign and I took the photo. (talk about dumb American's)
He never saw the sign.
Our friends never saw the sign.
We got a nice fat fine for drinking at the beach.
The policeman actually said to us, "you didn't see that sign?" as he laughed and wrote a ticket.
Thankfully the policeman laughed. By this time our cooler was empty so we didn't have to worry about drinking any more under the sign.
Rick should have been fined for that 80's porn 'stache and those swim trunks!

I also found this photo below of one of our winter projects.
I loved this puzzle. It looks like money is just thrown on the table.
The money is all foreign currency so that made it all the more difficult as you can imagine.
But it was fun.
Adding a bottle of red wine into the mix while doing it made it even more of a fun ride.

TGIF...Have a great weekend everybody.
14 comments:
The dumbing down of American kids is a crying shame. I have 5 kids, so I know what is going on first hand. Trying to get out of the public school system is why I drive a 10 year old minivan. We have spent a countless amount of money and time giving our kids a back to basics, private education. The academics are bad enough; you should see the behavior those teachers are forced to tolerate. Then again, you should see the behavior exhibited by some teachers. I've also driven up to 3 hours a day and had my kids enrolled in 3 different schools (depending on grade) at times. Its been worth every penny to have literate kids who can speak without saying, um, and ya know, a, um, like, so like, over and over during one single sentence. Not being able to spell is one thing, at least there are dictionaries and spell check but talking to a person who doesn't even have a frame of reference because they haven't read a book or been taught history, geography, science or english properly (they're usually in class watching a movie-again), is tragic. I actually have to sum up a person I pass a book on to depending on if I think they have frame of reference enough to understand the book. Sorry, I'm pretty passionate about this subject, having been a teacher myself and sending 5 kids through school gives me pause to have a bit of a rant now and then. Thank God my kids are all close to being finished with school. I have one child who has special needs therefore, he has been mainly in public schools due to needing an individual assessment plan. Even he passed (with flying colors) the high school exit exam which must be taken in California before you graduate high school. Because of his educational difficulties and deficits he can barely write a literate sentence. Thus, obviously, anyone can pass that thing. Okay, sorry, I'm done ranting. My tea is ready and I'm going to have a Cuppa and carry on with my day. My daughter is visiting from Texas and we have a fun day planned. Thanks for revving up my blood this morning!
Perhaps I am mistaken Mr./Ms. Elementary School teacher, but isn't it your job to teach those children how to spell fruit and slow? The kids all start out the same no matter their ethnicity or socioeconomic background. If you treat them as less than others starting out do you think that will carry through their entire life? Perhaps the problem is not with education but with some of the people who have been allowed to become educators.
A Big AMEN to you both!
I'm still laughing at the comment, Rick should have been...for the stash and .... Actually, he looks totally cute!!! Ha!
Mary
i think i'm going to protest unicorns and pixie dust. people are beyond ridiculous.
i would rant more about this, but i am distracted by rick's porn 'stache and swim trunks.
Oh Alicia you make me laugh.
I needed that - this afternoon has not made me smile at work today.
:-)
yeah, i had to throw in the unicorn and pixie dust...had to gay-up the comment since i was talking about your husband's swim trunks
i would have to make a citizens arrest on rick. heehee (did you know i actually grew up in/around ft myers? we moved to cape coral, which is just over the bridge, when i was 8 and i lived there until my early 20's.)
i had a huge rant planned about the spelling bee thing but "cottage" pretty much took the words right out of my mouth. its so frustrating as a parent to work your ass off getting your kids to excel only to be met with the arguments of ignorant dumbasses. i cannot get over that there were elementary educators in that mix. sheesh.
also, i love jigsaw puzzles but dont often admit it because most people look at me like im a crazy lunatic. im glad im not the only one that enjoys them.
Arrgghh..those protesters make my head want to explode, too! Hope they don't gang up with those rightwing textbook people in Texas who want to revise history to suit their own agenda--then our future children are doomed.
Anyway...catching up here on a Monday.
Rick looks like something out of Miami Vice! Too funny...(speaking of drinks on the beach, I and three other friends walked barefoot in the dark on a beach with filled wineglasses just last Friday...wheeee...)
And...I cannot beleive that money pile is actually a puzzle???? How do you dare to break it up and put it back into the box after all that work?
Tammie - people think I'm nuts too for the puzzle thing. But we love doing them. And it's amazing the great conversations that are had over those puzzles!
Gal Friday - That puzzle was very very difficult to undo. We left it on the table for a month. It was so difficult. Could have been the wine or it could have been the fact that there were no square edges or both. :-) My step mom bought us this one for Christmas and we were cussing her while doing it. I took the photo just to show her we finally finished it. We becamse obsessed.
Linda - boy Rick is gonna like that comment. My pot-bellied Stallion is sexy at every age we've been through together.
We call that his tom selleck phase in 1988.
And I think you are spot on re: stupid people are louder/big mouths. :-)
Well Rick looks pretty "fine" in this here photo haha. I saw someone get fined on the beach and watched them dump out all their booze once. That was sad! Alcohol abuse! I don't get what the big deal is just as long as you aren't littering.
TG for spell check. There are a lot of words I never knew I was spelling wrong until that little red line appeared ;)
Oh Julie that was funny. Alcohol abuse is right. :-)
I may have to post Rick 30 years later - doesn't look like that anymore. Neither do I, damn it.
Post a Comment