Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Hearing Loss or Not Paying Attention?

I have mentioned this topic all too often of late of what is happening in my world.
My dear husband of the famed '80's stache isn't embarrassed enough after those photos went on the blog so I am going to publicly embarrass him a tad bit more.

We have a friend who got a dog 2 months after we got Izzy. 
Her dog's name is Rusty.
Rusty is huge compared to Izzy.

We also have a friend in Orange County California that is named Rusty.
He is married to Therese.
Rusty has had a couple of operations in the last couple of years and there have been some issues after surgery but nothing major or bad. But he was much thinner the last time we saw him.

Here is my story of what happened last evening.
Rick and my conversation went like this –

Me: I talked to Laura yesterday and she was talking about Rusty.
Rusty is up to 90lbs now and they expect him to weigh even more - up to 2 yrs this could go on.

Rick:   90lbs? What the hell do you mean UP to 90lbs?
Is he sick? Oh my God. …and what is up to 2 yrs mean?
Was it the last surgery? What is wrong? Oh My God. When did you hear this?
Holy Shit I know he was a bit thinner than I remembered him last time we saw but 90lbs? Oh my God Margaret when did Terese call you?


At this point, I was laughing so hard I couldn’t speak.
Honestly, this man is nuts and now going deaf.

Rick: What the hell is so funny about any of this Margaret?
What in the hell is wrong with you? This sounds awful should we call him?
Is it too early?  What time is it there?

Now Rick was getting testy and I’m sorry but bad wife found this hysterical because I knew he was thinking Rusty Smith and not the dog.

Me: Honest to God Richard NOT RUSTY SMITH you numbnut.

Rick: (before I could go on he interrupts me) What other Rusty do we know then?
(my God he is actually a very angry man now)

Me: I said before I even mentioned the name Rusty that Laura and I talked yesterday…

Rick: Oh Rusty the damn dog.
Honest to God Margaret you really do mumble.

Yea that’s the issue, I mumble.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

According to my husband I mumble too. I think not. I could so relate to this.
Mary

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Maybe we could send all our husbands to the same classes on the art of listening to their wives……or a discount on hearing aids perhaps.?

Raquel's World said...

Hey you just gave me a great idea. we should have a make fun of your husband/spouse/partner day where we blog about their imperfections....genius! Join me soon or I may just do this all on my own. After all I could fill up a entire blog site with stuff like this about mine.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Oh Raquel, I already do that here on my blog!

Anonymous said...

ha ha. i love this.

Cheryl said...

Hysterical! I'm out here in The OC. Do I need to go see Rusty and make sure he hasn't grown a tail and floppy ears?

Anything Fits A Naked Man said...

Ha! That's a RIOT!! Although I shouldn't laugh too loud! Because I worked in a very loud show for several years, and I'm beginning to believe my hearing may be a little sub-par.

But I know how annoying it is to ask my husband to repeat himself all the time. So when I can't understand what he's just said, I try to figure it out on my own.

So he'll say, "Do you want to go with me to the store?"
Me: (blank stare) pause, pause, pause, pause....
Him: It's not a hard question!

Sigh!!!

Anonymous said...

"Oh Rusty the damn dog"!!

I burst out laughing when I read that!

Thanks for a good laugh :) :)

I totally look forward to knowing you more!

"Cottage By The Sea" said...

Hysterical conversation! We have the same problem around here. I made my husband go get a physical because I thought he was going deaf. When he called to make it, the receptionist said, "Do you need your ears checked too?" "Yes, said my husband, why do you ask?" "Because all husbands whose wives make them call for a physical are sending them in because they think they aren't being heard," says said receptionist. Not being heard is an understatement.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Oh that's funny Tia!
Smart receptionist.

Julie H said...

LOL Scott blames it on me mumbling too!