I am driving 7 hrs to Columbus, Ohio, on Friday (Today)
I so miss Rick driving long distances.
My niece's baby shower is on Saturday. Normally, I wouldn't do this. However, this young lady, being the youngest, has gotten the short end of the stick too many damn times.
I also have not seen my family since 2019.
My stepmom is so excited to see us. No one has seen Rick since his stroke.
We rented a car. Our 18-year-old vehicle is great, but we believe this is a better choice. Besides, our radio died last week. 7 hrs with no Dateline or music? It can't be done.
We've planned a road trip package of food, good as well as junk, along with water.
I think I've thought of everything Rick could need or want, including the mandatory road trip of beef jerky.
Hopefully, the man will sleep so he isn't his usual backseat driver. I did put duct tape in the car glove box. I always tell him to just be quiet. I can see the car in front of me. Yes, I see that curb. Oh, he drives me crazy. If he gives me shit, I'm going to pull out the tape at the next stop and tell him it is going on his mouth if he isn't quiet! I know he will laugh and shut up. Well, for a few minutes anyway.
My family has not seen me with white hair. I'm also heavier. Can I lose these 15lbs by Friday? Oh, Peg, your hair is somethin'. Oh my, you've gained some weight, haven't you? Oh boy, you're looking old. ha ha ha. Yeah, that's my family. Can't wait, can you tell? This is my immediate family, sisters, and step mom. Cousins, aunts, and others are all great and know enough to not say these things out loud to people.
Oh, I just can't wait! Root canal is a better day.
The co-ed shower is on Saturday. We will return on Sunday. Unpack and sleep for a week. That is my plan.
At least there will be alcohol. Food, but nothing I'll be able to eat, so I will eat alcohol. I will smile as I do, and everyone will think I'm happy. Then I will go back to my hotel room, have a good scream in a towel in the bathroom, and then let it all go. Sounds like a plan. This is how good ole Margaret deals with her family.
Here's to my family dysfunction.
And if that isn't bad enough, most are trumpsters except my nieces and 1 cousin who is attending. (and step-mother who hates him)
Rick said to me last night, "I know you prefer that I not say anything, but I'm sorry if someone says something about that evil bastard, I am not shutting up."
I begged him to let it go. They are stupid. You can't fix stupid!
Leave the table or walk away, whatever. Don't waste your energy, please!
Will he listen to me? He never does so, I am hoping this will be a first.
having lived in a haunted house I get this. I'd rather have ghosts too.
12 comments:
First off, 7 hours with no radio is a crime against humanity, so renting the car was definitely the right call. I love the duct tape plan for Rick—nothing says 'I love you' like a playful threat of silence! I’m so sorry about the family 'commentary' on the hair and the weight; some families really do have a way of making a root canal sound like a spa day. Just remember: 'Eat' the alcohol, smile for the photos, and save that towel-scream for the hotel. You’ve got this!
I certainly understand renting a car. I totally relate to the dysfunction. Mine was one hot mess. Most are dead so I no longer have to do any family obligation crap. I'm sure your niece will appreciate your being there. Be safe.
Anyone who gives you grief over your hair or weight should be stricken dumb, says I. They have not walked in your shoes. What you have been living with for the past few years makes some of us wonder how you do it. Remember that some of us think you are gorgeous - right here - right now. Swagger in to see your relatives. (Yeah, I like your forethought at taking duct tape.)
Sounds absolutely delightful, especially the screaming into the towel part. Be strong!
Seven hours in a car without the radio/music? I'm out. No can do.
I recall once, in my youth, when my radio/cassette player was on the fritz for a trip, I brought a boombox and a shitload of batteries. Gotta have road music.
The rental is definitely the way to go when you have an older car. Worth the piece of mind.
I want to hear those ghost stories, missy, but not while I'm alone in this house till early May. -Kate
In my youth, most cars had no radio. My family sang. These days, although my car has all the bells & whistles, I use a flash drive - and whistle or sing along with the music. Music certainly adds to enjoyment of road trips.
Oh, I so get the duct tape in the glove box. If we go somewhere, I drive, because his driving drives me nuts. So to avoid fights, he decided that I would always drive. The funny thing is, he does the same thing. "Leave a bit more room between us", watch out for that nut job in the black truck", etc.
Try to enjoy the family even if they drive you crazy, since at some point you will be going home :-).
Safe travels!
"so I will eat alcohol" - good plan, should help with dealing with the dysfunction, hopefully.
Hope you made it there safely and had a great time!
Looking forward to hearing about that duct tape, ha (and hopefully some good times too).
Also this: I too have tried to lose 15 lbs by Friday.
Amen to the Ghosts. That's why I rent. I cannot take any more fiscal responsibility for a house. I just look at it like I'm pay for a repair each month.
Post a Comment