Wednesday, June 12, 2024

Step on A Crack Break Your Mothers Back

My social life seems to be doctor's appointments. 
Sounds like fun doesn't it?
I wrote on Friday that I had to go to Duke. I told you about all the nice women and nurses but I don't think I told you about my neurosurgeon who is a case study for me.

My neurosurgeon, Dr. G. is such an odd duck.
His picture would be next to the word nerd in the dictionary.

He is brilliant. He has accolades up the wahoo. 
I read up on him everywhere I could find. He is impressive.
He walked into the room said hello quietly, almost a whisper, and put out his hand.
He is what I would call mild-mannered, pasty white, and soft. 
By soft I don't mean fat or heavy at all, just soft. 

When he talks about my spine he gets excited and animated but his social skills while all polite are where he is lacking a bit. That's where I came up with nerd.

He asked me how long and how this all began with my back. He could tell I had had surgeries and he wanted to have me start at the beginning.
I did a quick version and then he went back and asked for details like, okay you fell but where?
I said on concrete steps. But where?
Oh, you want a lot of details, really? All right I can do that. Are you sure? Why does it matter?  He said, "I want a picture." Okey dokey.

I fell at the CNE exhibition stadium in the summer of 1979. (Toronto)
He asked where that was. 
(not there anymore but on the lakefront at the time where the Blue Jays played)
It had been raining but it stopped. The steps were wet. We saw people falling left and right. There were no handrails. I had to go to the bathroom before the singer came out. My girlfriend said, "Go slow"  I thought I had but my foot slipped, both legs went straight out in front of me and I bounced on my tailbone twice. Just like a cartoon. I had instant mind-blowing pain. A man sitting across from this step on the aisle was kind enough to help me get up. I had to pee and I wanted to cry. 
I waited to do both.

I got myself to the bathroom, closed the stall door, and wept. 
I was in such pain.
I pulled myself together and went back to the show. 
I was in a lot of pain all night. He asked what I did for the pain. 
I hesitated and then said -  We smoked pot and drank wine in our hotel room since I could not go out as we had planned. He asked, "Did it help?"  
Yes, it did until halfway through the night.

He asked if I lived in Toronto at the time. I told him no, Erie PA. 
He then said, may I ask who the singer was. Now I'm thinking this is strange but I went along. I told him it was Burton Cummings. I also said, "I think you are too young to know him or his former band, The Guess Who"  He laughed and said, "You're correct"  I said, "You've heard Lenny Kravitz sing American Woman?"  
He said, Sure. I said he was the original writer and singer of the song. 
(Since he's in his late 40s he probably wasn't even born until that year I fell.)
Honestly, I can't believe we're in this much depth with nothing to do with my back.

In the morning my 23-year-old self didn't know how I was going to drive back to Erie PA because my car was a standard. 
The doctor asked, "How did you?"  
(280Z, remember those?) 
My girlfriend who I was with did not know how to drive a standard. I could not extend my leg without a good deal of pain. She drove and I'd say CLUTCH, and I'd shift from the passenger seat. We practiced in the hotel parking lot until she got the hang of it. We did this all the way home to Erie. She only stalled it once when we got to Erie. 

After he heard all this he was excited. Telling me what I had done, what this fall did, and why. Oh, he was an excited little nerd now. He was cute.
He asked why I waited until 1984 to have my surgery. 
Because I was scared.

He showed me my MRI and my spine. Apparently one should have a curved spine. Mine is straight. Oh with excitement he went over everything. How this first fall caused this, as he'd point to my MRI. He was excited. He talked options other than surgery. Some I can't do due to age. NOTHING good happens after 50 I swear! He comes alive now talking about all of this.
His face changes and he is cute and animated and louder and excited almost. 

He continued his animated self with pictures and options etc.
I told him I was scared of a surgery at L1. He said they don't like to do them there if it can be prevented. So again, why would I do that? He said I want to continue to do non-surgical options for as long as we can. I said I agree!

I will have another injection on both sides of L1 next Tuesday. I think that should be it. The first two were not in the right spot. That was the ortho doctor assuming where I had surgeries before, not my spine doctor. 
This was the reason I decided I needed a spine doctor/surgeon should I need the surgery. He would know all that was done and my history etc.

After all this medical speak, he reverts back to a quiet mannered milk toast kind of man about how we were moving forward.
It is so damn interesting to me, actually fascinating. 
He couldn't be nicer and I know he is smart. 
But I just find him so damn interesting that he is so nerdy and quiet until you talk about spines. He was like 2 different people. His excitement  when talking about my back is a good thing for a spine doctor I suppose.

Maybe I find him to be a fascinating character/case study, because I am not the smartest tool in the box, or because I am an extrovert, or both. 
I don't know but I just find him to be a helluva interesting person.

17 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I think it's a great sign that Dr G is so excited to talk about your spine and that he will do everything he can think of to help you with your back pain.

Most doctors look like kids to me these days, that's for sure. The ones who don't are all in the process of retiring.

I was a big Burton Cummings fan too back in the day. I went to the very last concert of the Guess Who, which was held in the Winnipeg Arena in 1975.

bluzdude said...

Sounds like a great doctor. I like that he wanted you to tell him the full story. Most only want the bare facts, as if the time spent hearing anything else is wasted. I usually have a story for everything, but I usually tamp it down in the exam room, otherwise I see their mind start to skip ahead.

Cop Car said...

It seems you have found a winner and that your medical future may not be as bleak as you feared. That would/(will?) be great.

Each person should have enthusiasm for something. Fortunate are those whose enthusiasm is for whatever they do for a living. ("If you do what you love, you'll never work a day in your life"?) Most of us show enthusiasm by coming alive in our conversations. OTOH: Sadly, for the 67 years in which I've loved him, Hunky Husband has always said, "Don't yell at me!" when I show enthusiasm while speaking with him. (Of course, he's weird!) I call it being involved. I'll never learn.

As to your Burton Cummings: Your surgeon is too young and I am too old.

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

I think a lot of highly specialized doctors are socially lagging behind others in their age bracket. They spend so much time studying while their peers are out chalking up experiences in the world and all their confident is wrapped up in their specialty. And thank god for people like him! Glad you found a doctor you like!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Debra, I am thrilled you knew Burton Cummings. No one normally does but since you are from Canada I would think you should. Growing up we only had cable channels from Canada. I would see him on the Juno's and on Alan Hamel show and he'd have specials. So not only loving him from the Guess Who I heard all his solo stuff too. And we had Canadian radio as well. He wasn't as big in the US for his solo ventures. You made me smile. :-)

bluzdude, I tried to tamp it down and he kept asking me more questions. I have never had a dr do this stuff. But he nows understands how I got this way from 40+ years ago and the beginning of all my surgeries etc. but boy he was an odd one.

Cop, I had enthusiasm for what I did for a living and people thought I was crazy. I thought I was lucky. So I weirdly understand him. I just wish I could find that enthusiasm for something now. I'll keep looking though.

Jean, I agree with the socially lagging and this guy was a poster child for that.

Abby said...

What an interesting person - not "interesting" as in someone to have over for dinner, but as in the character study you've shared. It's to your advantage that he's so excited about spines!
Now I'll be extra careful walking down wet stairs.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Abby, do you remember those wooden heeled Candies shoes that women wore in the 70s? That did not help me on the wet pavement steps!!
I don't know why all the men feel. Lol

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

That was fell. Fat fingers on phone

April said...

I remember those shoes - I always wanted a pair! Never got them.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

April, Rick calls them Dolly Parton shoes. Lol

Kathy G said...

Glad you were able to find a doctor that will help make a difference in your health.

I would have thought that everyone my age would know about Burton Cummings, but I guess not.

Mike said...

"a good thing for a spine doctor"
Absolutely!

Mr. Shife said...

I am glad to hear you got to see Dr. G and it sounds he is going to do the best for you and your back. I hope the injections work their magic since they will be in the right area and you feel so much better.

Julie H said...

He sounds fantastic! Every time I find a dr/specialist I like they leave the practice :( Then I end up back with a weird one.

It's.a.crazy.world said...

Sounds like you have a great doctor ~ who cares if he's socially awkward? When they are excited to talk about your medical issues, and then ASKS you questions? Wow, that so rarely happens. I need to make a note to tell my doctor everything because she hardly ever asks questions.
I hope all the non-surgical options help you. I can't imagine the pain you have every day.

Barbara said...

In my old age, I decided that specialists were the only way to go. I am looking for a neurologist who specializes in changes from Diabetes. I don't think I have Dementia or Alzheimer's, but I know changes are going on, and I want to prepare for the future or at least maintain what I can. Getting old is a drag.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Oh Barbara, I understand too well. I hope you find that specialist.They are their weight in gold.