Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Oops, I did it again!

I typed 5405 instead of 5404.
That meant Rick went to the wrong house - again.
This just happened this morning.

He saw a few cabs in the driveway which he thought odd.
He rang the bell and a nice man who's English wasn't great answered the door.  He was very very friendly. 
Rick told him he was there to look at the bathtub for their estimate.

The man brought him through the house into the kitchen.
There sat a few more men at the table. They all wore a turban or headpiece on their head that I am sorry to say I do not know the proper name if there is one. 
They were all Muslim men.
They were making breakfast and chatting around the table.

The man shows him to the back door and Rick was thinking, that is an odd way to get to the bathroom. Then he said will you need a ladder?
Rick laughed and said, I hope not. I am here to see the bathroom guys.
They thought he said the roof.  OOh, they say and laugh heartily. 
Another who's English is better is teasing this man who asked Rick about the ladder. There was a lot of laughter at this point.
The man tells Rick there is someone in the bathroom right now, have a seat and you can wait.

Rick sits down at the table to wait. They are all laughing and talking and the TV is on. The TV is all in Arabic. The man sees Rick looking at the TV and he says, "We are doing this so it's secret to you" Rick laughed.  
He said they were all so friendly and happy. 
Some things said got them roaring with laughter as well as Rick. 
(But I feel if I type it here I could offend.)
He chatted with them about the taxi's in the driveway, apparently, they all drove a cab. 

Then as he turned his head, they put a plate of eggs, sausage, toast, and home fries in front of him and told Rick to enjoy some breakfast with them. 
Rick said, "thank you guys but I am not here to eat, but thank you it looks great"
At that moment the man walked out of the bathroom and looked at this white guy like, "who are you?"  Rick stood up and extended his hand. He told him who he was, what company he was from and repeats that he is here to view the bathroom for an estimate for your landlord. 

The man was certainly puzzled now and told Rick, "I bought this house 1.5 years ago I don't have a landlord." Rick asks, "Is this 5405?"  The man says, "It is."
Rick said, "Well  I seem to be at the wrong house I apologize."
Then all the men stood up to shake his hand and ask again if he wanted food to go.  Rick said he did not, but he may stop back later because you guys sure are fun." 

As Rick walked to his truck he called the number I gave him for the tenant. (thankfully that number was correct) The house was 5404, across the street.
When he arrived at 5404, the tenant said I saw you going over there but figured maybe you were doing work for them too.

Needless, to say Rick called me after that estimate while heading to his next job. 
Thankfully he was laughing this time. He said, "these men were so nice and welcoming, I wish our customers were that nice."

Whew, he wasn't angry this time. I may have to thank those guys myself!

13 comments:

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

What a great story, Peg. I loved it.

Mike said...

Super nice people, wrong house. It figures.

Arkansas Patti said...

Can't believe how nice they were. Bet if they ever need any bathroom work, they will call Rick.

Abby said...

That's funny. Dude shows up and asks to see the bathroom, and they just let him in!

Julie H said...

Too funny! Probably Sikh, we have a big community here.

Susan Kane said...

I hope he ate the breakfast. They showed him such generosity and kindness.

LL Cool Joe said...

Whilst I was in AZ last week a guy knocked on the door and said he was there to fix the pool heater. I assumed my partner must have called him up so showed him through to the back yard. There was nothing wrong with the heater. Turned out he'd come to the wrong house. :D

RO said...

What an adventure based on a wrong address and a great way to get a free meal!(lol) Hugs...RO

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

LL - glad to know that someone else makes a typo and send their men to the wrong address. :-) They too thought the homeowner must have called and since he was using the bathroom they just let Rick in. But it is nice isn't it that you both were so kind to let them in and be nice to them. It sadly is rare.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Too all - about that breakfast - he did not eat it but thanked them none the less.

Olga said...

Oh brother. A bit dyslexic?

Barbara said...

Had to go to the emergency room yesterday, again, and I was laying on the table and read this post. I had to laugh out loud. It was nice having something light and positive, if sending your husband to the wrong address can be positive, to read. So funny

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Oh Barbara I hope you are okay! Glad I could make you laugh a bit.