Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Izzy's BFF

Ever since Izzy was this big her BFF was a black lab 8 months older named Libby. (I love this picture of her, this is the one I saw and chose her from) 
We brought Izzy home from her pack and the first dog she ever saw was Libby.
Those two played like crazy. We live a block apart.
Libby was a crazy dog. Not the least bit mellow like Izzy.
Izzy takes to her commands, Izzy can walk without a leash and Izzy doesn't eat anything she is not supposed to.

Libby is the exact opposite. In the time I have known Libby she has eaten a 1lb box of See's chocolate, glitter crayons, a $10 bill, a tube of poison ivy medication, a BOX of goldfish including the bags, 2 doz. chocolate chips cookies just to name a few. 

The chocolate chip cookies were the day the owner knocked on our door and said, Can Izzy come out and play so Libby can run this energy off?
The poison ivy medication made her so thirsty, it was drying out her insides.
The glitter crayons I saw first hand what they did. We were at the park together and I saw her go and I asked Jackie, her human mom, why her poo was sparkly and she said she ate a couple of glitter crayons. Oh my gosh, this dog is crazy.
She never gets sick either. She just eats everything and anything. She is goofy too and that is hard to explain but she was most certainly goofy and that was her charm.

Once Jackie and her boyfriend came down for a few drinks. I had food all over the coffee table and we chatted and ate. She kept saying, 'Won't Izzy go to this?" Nope. She will put her nose in the air and smell it, she may even stare at it, but she knows she can't have it. But ole Libby would have eaten everything so quickly she said we wouldn't have had the time to move it.
I didn't doubt her.

Every morning during the school year (Jackie is a teacher) I see Jackie in the morning at 5:30a with Libby. The dogs get so excited. If Jackie isn't out, Izzy will stare at their house and I swear she wills Libby outside. On our lunchtime walks, we go by Libby's house and she has to pee there to let Lib know she was there. Then she goes to the sidelight of the door and they look at one another. The tails are wagging and it's so cute. I hear the same thing from Jackie about Libby looking for Izzy and smelling her and pulling her in that direction.

Two weeks ago Izzy was smelling the grass and then looked up the street. I thought what did she smell? I see Libby and Jackie coming around the corner.
I asked if Libby had just peed there and she said she did indeed. I said apparently Izzy knew this. Then the two greeted each other and they were happy.
Jackie told me that Libby has had urine in her pee and they think she has a UTI and put her on medication and everything seems okay right now. 

We talked about our older dogs having issues going up the steps now and that sort of thing.  This past Thursday as Rick and I sat down to dinner we got texts.
Libby had a mass on her spleen that was bleeding into her stomach. They felt there was nothing to do for her. They had to put her down the next day. 

Needless to say, we didn't eat dinner but instead went down to Libby's house.
Jackie is a single mom with 2 girls. The oldest just left for college and the youngest is 15. Their dad walked out when the girls were very small and the girls got a dog. The 4 of them (including Libby) are the tight-knit family you would want. They are beautiful inside and out. It's been just "the girls" for 11 years with Libby. They were going to go pick up her daughter at college so she too could be there with Libby for the last night. As Jackie said this dog got them through all the difficulty of Dad leaving. This dog means everything to the girls. 

When we got there Libby wasn't really moving a lot. She greeted us and her tail was wagging. She did what she always does to Rick and goes between his legs and he rubs her butt above her tail and she just loves this. Then she laid down. 
We just loved on her and all told the funny stories of Libby. She and Izzy are very well known in the neighborhood and all the things they did together. It was so sad. Not a dry eye in the house except for Izzy.

I was shocked that Izzy didn't know she was dying. I thought for some reason she would instinctually know this. But instead, she was just jealous of Rick loving all over Libby and giving her all his attention.  For some reason that bothered Rick and I. But we can't train her to feel emotions, it's not like she is human. But as I have said about Izzy before if she were human she would be a Mean Girl. Loves getting affection from everyone but doesn't want to give it back to everyone, she is selective, or a bitch, either way, you want to look at it. 

Friday afternoon they put Libby down. We brought them a photo we had of her that I had framed. I know come spring they will have a new puppy. But right now everyone there is crying and big ole Rick was in a puddle himself. We all loved that dog. It just reminds me that Izzy is old too and that day will come for us too soon.

I will tell you now, I will be a fucking mess. 
I love this crazy fur baby. My house may be cleaner when she's gone but I'll take the dog hair and muddy paw prints any day just to keep her a bit longer.
I wish dogs didn't have such short lives. 
The human loving, people pleasing dog lives a short time. 
Not fair in my book.

17 comments:

bluzdude said...

So sorry about the loss of your (and Izzy's) friend.

Sidelight: We used to have a neighbor with an old bulldog who would eat crayons. Our joke was that she did that so she could shit in technicolor.

Now I want to find a way to feed glitter to OUR dog, just so Sweetpea can find the results. Maybe it will brighten up her day.

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

We had a dog once who'd eat anything and everything including once his own flea collar he managed to get off and eat everything but the buckle. He had his stomach pumped several times. I know Libby, I lived with a Libby.

It's so hard to lose our fur babies and I'll bet Izzy just knew that Libby was suffering and therefore didn't feel the impeding death in the same light that her humans did. But they do mourn in their own way. We once had a dog who'd slept on our cat's grave for a week.

Ami said...

Aww, so sad. But think of all the love she gave and the love she inspired in you. :)

It's very hard to lose our furry friends. It's been a long time since we had to put our Maggie down and I still miss her every day. Yeah, less dog hair. And no poop scooping. But if someone could give her back to me, I'd gladly take on the responsibility again.
(((hugs)))

Olga said...

It is a real heart ache to lose a pet. You are, in fact, losing a family member. Hard to understand unless you have gone through it. I wonder how Izzy is reacting after the fact?

Annsterw said...

That is the absolute worst part of pet ownership! I cry for a few weeks every time I have to put a cat down and it's like that little hole never goes away. It's hard to believe that I am old enough to have had to do this several times already! I wish they could live longer than us - that would make it so much easier. Sorry for your loss - so very sad!

Cruisin Paul said...

My condolences Peg. When I was young, I remember Bruno my boxer. He was an older dog one that I could lay on him when I watched the TV. I loved that dog. Bruno was feeling well so my dad took him to the vet. The next day we got a phone call. My mother sat us down and informed us that Bruno had died during the night. I cried and cried. I still had to go to school that day but school wasn't in my mind. Bruno was. That's the reason that I never got another dog. It hurts to much and still does.

Cruisin Paul

Linda d said...

A sad, sad post.

I am sorry for that family to lose its beloved member. I am sad that we get these guys for such a short time. And yet, life would be so much less lovely not ever having them. And hopefully, we are worthy partners and make their lives more colorful too.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

bluzdude - oh my goodness you wouldn't feed a dog glitter, you nut.

Jean - Libby never had to even have her stomached pumped believe it or not.

Ami- I agree!

Olga, Izzy went by her house yesterday and looked into the sidelights. She didn't see her and she just turned around and looked at me as if to say, "where is she?" Then she went to the corner of their house where there is usually a pee for her to smell and there wasn't. She went back to the door again. I pulled her away before I cried.

Ann - it is the worst but cats live twice as long don't they?

Paul - I'm sorry about Bruno. I love that name though! My husband had a dog named Bruno as well.

Linda - they do make our lives so much better don't they?

Mike said...

I think losing a pet is worse than losing a human relative.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Oh Mike I think I agree.

Arkansas Patti said...

Aww, I was wondering how Izzy would react when Libby disappeared and your explanation made me cry also. Oh if they only lived longer.

Abby said...

So sorry for that family, and you guys. It's so hard to put a dog down even when it's obviously the right thing to do. We've put down two dogs within the last 10 years, our sweet China left us just a little over a year ago. I still tear up just thinking about them. Love 'em while we got 'em.

Julie H said...

So true. Their times are too short. I've had to put 2 down :(

Pippa said...

This breaks my heart. Unfortunately, the pain and heartache are the price we pay for their unconditional love. It hurts to think of Izzy looking for her every day - it will probably take a while. I'm truly so sorry for everyone who loved Libby.

RO said...

Our pets become so much a part of our home that it's always a struggle when we lose them. I'm so sorry for the family, and for you guys, but you have lots of funny memories to talk about and share for years. I'm sending lots of cyber hugs to all of you right now, and that picture is so adorable. RO

Barbara said...

Man, that makes me want to cry and I didn't even know her. I just hate hearing about anyone losing a pet because it reminds you that one day it will be you.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Barbara, yep.