I needed to just get some euro pillows to stuff in my guest room Euro covers.
Nothing makes you finish up the changes you began as when you get the call that company is coming. I had put off getting these damn pillows due to cost, but it really will finish off the new duvet etc so off to the store I went.
As I was perusing the aisles, I saw this thing I had just seen on TV the night before.
Rick and I laughed and made comments about this damn thing and here it was in front of me.
You could have knocked me over with a feather when I saw the price.
Two people who work there asked if I wanted to see how this was used.
No thank you I tell them politely I was just curious because I just saw it on TV.
But they didn't stop! Going through my head was, Do I get the need? Sure. Do I think this is a good thing? Sure is. But do I need it or want it? Hell no. I don't even know anyone who would use it.
The "thing" is called Coravin. There are several types starting at the low price of $199.00.
The price goes up to $499 or some such silly number.
https://www.coravin.com/ -- go ahead watch these pretentious fools tell you why you need this thing.
Anyway, as I am trying to get away from these 2 sales people I tell her that I have no need for this. I have never had leftover wine. This is not an issue with me. And on the slight chance that a drop is left after my husband and I open a bottle then it is used in cooking. But that has only happened once in our lifetime. So no need, thank you.
She says, "Oh you think you don't need it, but you've been conditioned to believe you have to drink the full bottle."
I burst out laughing. She was so friggin' serious. “Conditioned”
I told her that I would be certain to tell my AA sponsor that I have been conditioned to drink a full bottle.
She then gasped and said, "Oh I didn't know you couldn't drink"
I said, "No, sorry, that was just a joke" (oh brother)
I have been drinking wine since I was a child.
My dad allowed us to drink his dago red he made in the basement.
No big deal I thought it was gross.
As an adult, I think differently.
One bottle of wine is 2 glasses a piece for Rick and me.
And it's not like they are 2 tumbler size glasses either.
So, when do we have leftover wine? Never.
She said well what if a friend wants white wine and you are drinking red. He/She can just have a glass of white wine and it will keep again for a long time if he/she doesn't have another glass. I again explain that I do not see the value in this gizmo. It's not like I'd be throwing away a $200 or more bottle of wine so again no issue for me. In fact, knowing my friends there is no leftover wine.
On a regular basis, we are not drinking terribly expensive wine. And when we do drink some expensive wine on an occasion, trust me we don't feel pressured to finish it, it is our pleasure. I begin to push my cart and walk away.
The woman and her sidekick followed me!
Now I am getting a bit pissy.
I mean it was funny when you know me how this just doesn't fill a need for me. But now she is being a bit much, I said no, c'mon lady.
I turn to them both and say as nicely as I can, "I appreciate your strong sales skills but when I said I don't want to pay this, I don't need this, and I could overcome each objection you gave me doesn't that tell you I am not interested? Would it be better for me to walk away and possibly think about it and maybe realize you are right and I'll return and buy it? Or follow me and piss me off and I will never ever even consider the product even if I needed it desperately?"
The kid looked at her and this woman wouldn't shut up - "Well it will save you money." I smiled and walked away again. They did not follow this time.
Holy shit! She was tenacious that is for certain.
Who the hell buys this?
They kept telling me if I was having a dinner party.
I have had many and not once have I had a problem with the wine.
I will be honest if it was a white that someone loved and they brought it and didn't finish it, I tell them to take it home. We don't care for white wine. Truth be told my friend who loves white always brings her own. If I know she's coming I have it for her - she has never felt the need or pressure to finish it but always does because, well, she's my friend. It's how we roll.
Look we have a '97 Cabernet that we got a case of while in Sonoma at the Jordan Winery. We had a private tour because they don't offer tours. This wine is not cheap to me. It may be to the pretentious wine drinkers, but it isn't to us. We savor this wine. We have 1 bottle left and we are saving it for our 25th anniversary in a few weeks. I have no doubt that we will drink the complete bottle and have no need to save some for a later date.
I have never uttered the words, Oh, I just can't drink another glass of wine after this one glass.
Nope, this product isn't for me.
14 comments:
How obnoxious.
I do have left over wine and so I bought a vacuum gizmo for less than ten bucks. Maybe doesn't have ll the benefits of this new thing, but for that kind of money, I'd want the wine poured into the appropriate glass and carried to me on a silver tray.
I've seen the advertisement for this gadget and never dreamed it was so costly. It doesn't appeal to me at all because I can't help thinking you'd get cork dusk down inside the wine. Those pushy saleswomen where probably demonstrators working for the gadget makers, not Bed, Bath and Beyond. They are always pushy no matter what they are selling. Good for you for being clear and direct in your response when you walked away.
I hate hate HATE obnoxious salespeople. Lately they're in the grocery store and the local sprawlmart, too. Like carnival barkers, in your face bothering you when all you want is to get your goddamn groceries/pillow covers/dish soap and get the hell out of the store.
I won't swear at people, but my husband will. And he goes for the big word as a first choice.
I guess you could borrow him if you ever need to shop there again...
I'd have told them, "I only drink Franzia."
(My grandpa used to make wine too. I loved going down into the wine cellar; it always smelled so good in there.)
Olga, that $10 is about what I feel something like this is worth. That I might even buy. But not $200 and up! I'll finish the bottle first. I'll take one for the team.
Jean, clear and direct or you could say, straight up no chaser. :-)
Ami - no, I never swear at people in this situation or ever and I have a foul mouth. I always try to be as nice as possible and smile. Just not my way. But if you want to lend your hubby it would sure be fun to see. I save my wrath for blogging and getting it out that way. :-)
Bluzdude- your comment made me laugh out loud. Only drink Franzia!! I wish I had thought of that, where were you when I needed you? Yes, doesn't it make the cellar smell wonderful. It is such a nice memory for me.
I have to say Peg, you are strong not telling those women off. By now I would have told these women off in strong language. If a person says NO in a respectful method that should be the end of the conversation. With me my Italian anger gets in the way and any respect goes down the toilet. My wife gets upset with me. She's more of a person that would let the lady continue her message until we leave the store. Not me. Sorry about that but that's the way I am. Enjoy your day Peg. See ya.
Cruisin Paul
Oh, thank you for this! I clicked the link to that pretentious site and watched the little demo video, complete with epic surround sound soundtrack-from-every-Transformers-movie-ever. I'm with you, who buys this?!
And how obnoxious of those salesladies! I've not experienced that in Bed, Bath, and Beyond. Maybe they can tell I'm on the same wavelength as bluzdude - a box of Franzia's finest! Cheers!
Paul, you never need to apologize for who you are. My husband wouldn't have taken her shit either. It's okay. We need the ying and the yang. :-)
Abby, you only watched the video with the music. In the website there is this man talking about how he uses it and it just makes me want to say, "oh smell me" When we went to our private wine tour they did food pairings etc. At the end the man who owns this fabulous winery of very expensive wine said to enjoy your wine, if it's in a box or a bottle. Just enjoy what you like because we grape growers and wine makers appreciate it. Not the least bit pretensious. If you put that attitude to anything else it would be hysterical. Think about it with say cake. Then maybe they'd see how foolish they behave. Look for a great link later today.
What they did is bordering on harassment!
Saw those things on TV. Had no idea the cheap one was $200!! To me, anything over $20 is an expensive bottle of wine. Plus, my palate is such that those little rubber stoppers work just fine, if they're even needed!
CORAVIN™ MODEL ELEVEN - $999.95
I think I'll wait for the model 12 to come out.
Exactly Brian!!
Mike, Or wait for magic 13 that may be your lucky number.
Yikes, admire your patience but then it did give you a good blog post. Really hate people who have no idea what "no" means.
Patti, my life has become blog fodder. :-)
I was in sales my whole life. I never ever would have behaved like that. That is why I think I am nicer than most would be. I get the job, but no means no, just as you said.
I've had leftover wine from book club but it's like $5 wine lol That would be so dumb to pay that much money for one of those.
Post a Comment