Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Continuing on that theme....

Of yesterdays Customers are nuts...it only got worse. 
This happened on Monday.

Thursday I called everyone who had an appointment on Monday. 
I remind them of the appointment, time and what we will be doing. 
You'd be surprised how many people say, Oh I forgot. Or you get the person who says, I'm still not done doing my tiling can I rebook?  (we must be the last thing done in a remodel) So calling before hand normally eliminates a lot of headaches. Normally.

Let me back track for a moment.
Let's say you call and book an appointment after you've had an estimate. 

I make sure you wish to do all things listed on your estimate. 
Some folks decide to only do part of it for whatever reason they may have, which is fine, we just need to know. After an appointment is made I go over all they need to do before we get started. What needs to be removed from the room (depending on their job etc) We go over warranty, expectations, etc.
After I am off the phone I then send a confirmation email stating date/time name of the person coming to their home and attach a document explaining what they need to do before we get there.

So on Friday, I spoke to Megan about her job because I couldn't' reach her on Thursday. I repeated what was to be done by us in her home and the time. 
When we got there, Gary went to work on her bathroom. She let him in and ran to her bedroom with another person and shut the door. 
Gary did not do the number 1 thing he is told to do upon arrival. 
He is supposed to walk in with the customer to the room we are working on, repeat what you are there doing and make sure they hear you, pay attention, and agree with you, then you can get started. Instead, he went and got started right away because they ran to the bedroom. He regrouted her tile surround that went to the ceiling. I know from Rick and Gary that this had never been cleaned as far as they could tell and that this was going to be a long day. (nothing adheres to filth and soap film so it takes hours of cleaning before they can do their job)  After the grouting of the tile surround, the tub and the tile surround was going to be refinished in white and all new vertical and horizontal caulking.

When it was done, Gary asked the homeowner to come into the bathroom to look it over and to approve the job was done to their satisfaction and then of course pay. She squealed about how beautiful it looked but said, "I only wanted the bathtub done. I can't afford all of this"  
Gary called me. I spoke to Megan and she said, "I thought I told you we decided to just do the tub for now and as I could afford it we'd do the rest later" I said, "No, you didn't share that with me and in fact on Friday when I called you I said again we were coming to do tub, grout work and tile surround" She said, "Yeah but I wasn't paying any attention to you."  
Oh, my goodness. My head wants to explode. 
I thanked her for at least being honest. But I feel she is lying here. Not about paying attention to me, I am certain she probably didn't. But she never ever told me we were only doing her bathtub. I would have remembered that one.

She paid Gary for the tub only. We lost a lot of money here. I still have to pay Gary. Yes, he should have repeated it but I can't not pay him for 6 hrs of labor.
And I know how bad this place was and I know how hard he worked on making it perfect. Hazmat suit and all. (yes, it was one of those gross ones again of pubic hair, mold, filth and a toilet filled with poo when he got there) 

Rick and she spoke and she said she would make payments to us because it sure did look good.  I am doubtful this will happen. In fact, I am certain we will never see another dime. But guess who doesn't have a warranty? I think we just chalk this up to a loss. I am pissed. I know for certain I did not screw this one up. This is on them. She claims she didn't listen to me. Perhaps that is true.

No one listens to me. Not customers, not employee, not husband.
It irks the living shit out of me.

8 comments:

Mike said...

Have Gary do a Saturday job for the time he lost for you.

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

I guess I won't worry anymore if I feel like I'm "hovering" when I have a workman come to the house. I usually spend the first five minutes talking while he gets started, then go to another part of the house and check back every so often. Not possible with the kind of job you're doing with chemicals, but it's crazy not making sure a workman is on the same page and you are! I'll bet that is one step Gary won't forget again, either.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Jean - most people do exactly what you said you do. Some men will sit on the commode while the guys are working and it drives the guys nuts. Thankfully when they put on their respirators they will leave....most of them anyway. Oh no, Gary feels bad and he assumed we wouldn't pay him. We couldn't do that so I know he won't do that again. I would prefer we lose the job than to lose the money this way.

Olga said...

OMG. I wonder how some people live with themselves.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Olga - preaching to the choir. I forgot 2 packages of jello in my cart at self-checkout at the grocery store. I went back to the store to tell them I was putting my things away in the car and saw them on the top with my purse so I must not have paid.They looked at one another like I had a 3rd eye in the middle of my forehead. But it wasn't right to steal them, I would have been so guilty. But that's me. I was raised with Italian Catholic Guilt. Even though I rebelled and would not call myself that - it still stays with you. :-)

April said...

I'm the same way if I find out I didn't pay for something - I go back and pay.

Funny story Sunday I was walking back to truck from grocery store and was looking down and stopped and saw a $20 bill just laying on the ground. Of course I picked it up - but I felt so guilty keeping it. Husband said even if you took it back in the employee would probably pocket it. So we had lunch with the $20.

Anonymous said...

People can be idiots. All that labor and expense. Frustrating.

Unknown said...

the same page and you are! I'll bet that is one step Gary won't forget again, either.


หนังตลก