Monday, August 8, 2016

I got glutened.

I got glutened this weekend.
I feel like crap. I will feel like crap for a week or sometimes longer.
I can't believe I did this to myself. I am so mad at myself.
I've been a known celiac for over 6 years now. I know better.
And no, I wasn't drinking. This was just stupidity and nothing more.

You remember that Rick can't eat red meat for a couple of months.
Well, he has been hankering for meatballs. He had my grandmother teach him how to make her famous meatballs before she passed away.

Because he can't have red meat he decided to use ground chicken and ground pork. Pork would be good to add some fat so I got that. He did everything else the same. He made them around lunchtime and instead of the oven he put the big pan on the grill. Great for not making the house hot. When they were done he brought them into the house - Oh my gosh did they ever smell good.
I asked him for a bite of the one he was eating while standing over the kitchen island. I took a good size bite. "Hey pretty darn good for chicken"
Then I asked for another bite, basically finishing it off.  He obliged.

Now I know better than to just eat anything I didn't make. Hell, I usually refuse to eat anything even if someone tells me it is GF because I don't trust anyone other than Rick who knows first hand how sick I get. But later that evening I began to be sick. (Okay I would trust my sister Jen 'cause she would not want me to get sick either)

We were watching a movie and I just blurted out, "OMG I ate the meatballs." He looked at as if to say, "DUH" Then his eyes got big and went, "That wasn't gluten free bread - oh my God I'm so sorry! You're getting sick aren't you?" He saw my puffy face, which I didn't know was puffy yet. I had been feeling sick and I was getting crampy and thought to myself, "Why is this going on now?" Then it hit me - the chicken meatballs!

It's not his fault one bit. I am the damn fool who just took a bite of something without asking, I know better. I was upstairs while he was making them and didn't see what he used. He normally makes everything GF so I can eat it too but he figured since I am not normally chicken's biggest fan these would be "his".

Stomach pains and running to the bathroom are the easy parts. The other issues and pain are on a whole other level. By bedtime, I was so sick I really couldn't sleep but was so damn tired. How did I deal with this for over 20 years before I knew what the hell this was?

My face was swollen as were my limbs beginning to swell and the pain is off the charts even though you wouldn't think that would be painful...I know!
I can't breathe well, I need to sit up. I was getting stuffy. I was in the bathroom so much that I thought I should just bring my pillow in there. I finally went downstairs and rocked. Cramps don't go away when you rock but for some reason, I do it anyway.

There is nothing I can do to deal with the pain in my body or in my tummy at this point. I was drinking water. Does it do anything? Hell if I know but sometimes I feel like I could flush it out of me. No logic or sense in that. I realize that, but I was doing anything to help myself.

Everyone always asks me if I ever cheat. This is why I don't. Today I feel like crap. Fatigue, brain fog, headache, I feel like I have the flu. A full body flu.
I feel so much pain in my body/joints today and I have a rash on my arms. I am stuffy like a head cold and my pants are tight as well as everything I am wearing from all the inflammation.  I look like I've gained 20lbs for heaven's sake.
No, I don't ever cheat. It's so not worth it. Besides I am doing far more danger to my insides than what I feel, so why do I want to "cheat" and take years off my life? A piece of cake or 2 bites of a meatball just aren't worth it to me and this so reminded me of that point. But I do wish secretly it had been cake over chicken.
I mean...

For me, this probably will be gone by Friday. The longest it ever took was 2 weeks. In the meantime, I want to hide, stay inside and if I could crawl into bed for a few days and not go to yoga,work and deal with cranky people, it would be helpful.

For all the jokes made on TV about we celiacs I wish they could feel this just once and tell me if they still think it's funny and joke worthy.
We have no medication to help us we only have a GF diet. It does not cure us, it only helps us feel better.  It does not go away. This dreadful shitty disease causes cancers and will affect all your organs in very bad ways along with all the ugly stuff you can see. You can't absorb nutrients and a plethora of fun stuff happens with that issue.  Oh well. I'll be fine and I have to remember I did this to myself.
That is the kicker for me. I did this to myself.  Damn Idiot.  It was nice summer Sunday afternoon of just relaxing and having fun...until I was sick.

I'll be back later in the week when things calm down a bit.
In the meantime, enjoy some pizza for me will ya?

8 comments:

April said...

I'm sorry!! Sounds awful!!
Hope you feel better soon.

Mike said...

Move your computer and phone to the bathroom.

Anonymous said...

Two bites of a meatball - that's only part bread crumbs - and celiac disease does all that to you!?!?!

I had no idea it was so intense or affected every damn thing! Really feeling bummed for you and hope it works its way out of your system soon!

Julie H said...

OMG that sounds so horrible! I've been using the GF breadcrumbs and they seem to work pretty good. I'd be tempted to just get all the gluten stuff out of the house if it made me that sick.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

feeling a bit better today but not there yet....

Mike - that is what Rick said. I don't think I need you two to meet. :-)

Brian - amazing isn't it? and it sucks. Thankfully wine is GF. :-)

Julie - We have GF breadcrumbs but Rick used bread (we don't use breadcrumbs in meatballs - makes them tougher - use bread and milk much better!!) Normally Rick suffers along with me and eats GF but this time he had some real bread in the freezer when our horrible company was here and her remembered that. He thawed it and used that. Meatballs made with GF bread aren't so great in comparison so I understood it.
As I said I wasn't around when he made them so it's all my fault. It's not fair to Rick to be completely GF house though. Anyone with Celiac will get this sick,or worse, not just me sadly.

Barbara said...

Wow. That really sounds bad. I don't know anyone with Celiac so I didn't really know what it felt like. I wouldn't have thought that little bit would set it off either. Hope you feel better soon. I'll be watching my diet and meds this week so I don't have a similar problem.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Barbara, even cross contamination will do me or any Celiac in. I had McDonald's french fries not even thinking once on a long trip when I was first diagnosed and sure enough that trip was horrific for me. All the battered fish, chicken nuggets etc. Most foods you would never think have gluten (ex: licorice)and most places who claim to be GF aren't because of cross contamination. It's not an allergy but the best way for me to explain is even if you give a person with a peanut allergy just a small, small bite of a peanut they go into anaphylactic shock. My body does something similiar inside - you just can't see it.

LL Cool Joe said...

Oh no, sounds awful! Get well soon!