My father?
The bride and groom?
The weekend was so full of activities and laughing.
My father did not know me. But everything else for the weekend was great.
We had a great deal of traffic and we got there a bit later than anticipated.
We arrived at 4:30p. As I walked into the hotel I hear, "Peggy's here!"
I look around and then see a slew of family coming towards me. I was greeted with hugs, kisses and jokes already!
We got onto our floor of the hotel which was basically everyone from the families of both the bride and groom. People were in the hall and the laughing could be heard from the elevator banks. I imagine the people who booked everyone on the same floor knew what they were doing because this group could certainly annoy all the other guest with how loud they all are. Both families, but mine especially.
I saw my parents and across the hall were siblings and nieces. Down the hall, more cousins. It was crazy. We went through a floor of people hugging us and saying hello before we even got to our room. We unpacked and immediately joined everyone to see what was going on. The families of the bride and groom as well as the bridal party, all had rehearsal dinner and we were told to meet them at a place afterward. The cousins all decided to go to a restaurant near where we were meeting them later. We ate at a Cheesecake Factory. This poor waiter. He was a great sport and we made sure we took good care of him with a big tip. He deserved it.
During the meal, we got a text from the bride that things were running late. They would now be meeting us at 9p. Okay, we can handle that. Then we got a text saying 9:30p. Then 10p. Well the place we were meeting them was across the street and the youngs ones headed over there. We old farts decided to just go back to the hotel. And that we did. Everyone went to one room for a nightcap.(because you know that everyone in my family travels with wine and/or liquor as do I.) We had a few more laughs and all went to our rooms to hit the hay.
We didn't have an early morning and boy was I thankful for that. Rick and I slept in for us. I was up at 5:30a and Rick slept until 8am. We had breakfast, mingled and then it was time to get dressed. While the bridal party including my mom had to have their hair and makeup done I was asked to check in on my father.
He was across the hall from us. I went there at one point and he was sleeping. I let him sleep. Being out so late the evening before at the rehearsal dinner was a very long day for him. Then at lunch, I went back to check on him again. He was just sitting up as I walked in. I had to tell him who I was because he looked frightened. I told him I was his oldest daughter. He looked at me and cocked his head. He then said, "Margaret? Peggy?" I said yes that was me. He then just stared into space. My God this is so heartbreaking. I gave him some lunch and asked him to eat. He never wants to eat and if you make him eat, he acts like he has never eaten before. It's odd. By the time he was done my mom was back and took over.
Rick and I headed to the chapel. They were married at the chapel of their college where they met and where he is now the football coach. It was a beautiful wedding.
Then we all headed to the location of the reception. Great venue, it used to be a church. So it was quite beautiful with the stain glass windows etc.
A full night of dancing, laughing, eating, drinking and all around love and fun.
Couldn't have asked for anything better. Even my sister who never comes to anything, who hates everything, who is negative nelly was there and smiling.
Yea! Myles (groom) and his mom did a dance that was beautiful at first and of course like all those you see on Youtube - they broke into funky dance. It was funny. Honestly, this groom never stopped smiling.
Myles showed up at the hotel at one point and said, "Is Alex around here?" We told him it was safe. They did not wish to see one another until at the alter. Later I saw him running down the hall and I said, 'You better not be a runaway groom." He stopped and turned and said, "Oh no, I've been waiting for her all my life"
I know, insert swoon. He is such a cutie.
The best man and 1 other groomsman gave toasts. They were so damn funny and poignant and just great. The groom played football. All the men in the wedding party did as well and boy were they big. The one man who's name escapes me was about 6'6" and just gorgeous ladies. (No I don't have a photo, heaven knows I wish I did) He had the best speech of all.
As you all know and if not will when you see the photos, my niece is biracial. Her groom is not. He, as is his groomsmen are black. The tall gorgeous young man telling this story said that Myles said to him, "Did you see that girl?" What girl? The cheerleader. What cheerleader? The light skinned girl. Which one?
That made everyone laugh out loud. He told the story of cool Myles was now a mess after meeting her. He talked about how Myles never let anything shake him. On the team he was the level one. They called him Cool Myles. Until he met Alexandrea. The story was a hoot and he told it very well. The best man was funny as well. They were all so charming.
Rick said he has never seen so many beautiful women in one place in his life.
I too noticed that. Their friends were all gorgeous and right out of a magazine.
Even the little ones in the wedding party. Those kids were so well behaved and honest to God, pretty like models.
We got back to our hotel after the wedding at 10:30p and this time everyone came to my room. They all left at 2am. We got up at 6 and packed our things.
We said our goodbyes to those that were awake at 8:30am.
We went to a diner we saw across the street and boy was breakfast good.
Then we hit the road. We picked up Izzy first at 2:30, got home and all 3 of us fell asleep for 4 hours. Izzy was lying in front of me on the sofa and Rick in his chair. I remember talking to Rick and that's all I remember. We woke up because Izzy woke us. She needed to go out. We laughed about falling asleep at 3pm in the afternoon.
I did not bring my camera. I did not want to spend time worrying about lighting, the right lens, etc. I wanted to be in the moment and to enjoy the day. I have some from my phone but most of these are from Rick or someone else. I know I'll get copies from their wedding photographer so I just had fun.
Bride,Groom and Flower Girl
These were at their table.
My Dad and Mom -
You may now kiss your bride.
Bridal Dance
The Groom was crying already.

Mother and Father of the groom.
And this guy I sat with at the Cheesecake Factory. You all know him.











6 comments:
Oh. I am so glad everything turned out so lovely. How wonderful. I find that I can only be the life of the party from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm. Ha. Used to be the other way.
Barb, that time period sounds about right to me too!
Great story, I felt like I came right along with you! What a beautiful couple and when I read my husband the part where he said, "I've been waiting for her all my life", I chocked up. I am such a sentimental sap, echhh. It sounds like you love family weddings like I do. It's like a big party with a bunch of people you love. So sorry about your dad. I'm going through the same thing and it's so hard to understand and accept. I'll keep good thoughts for you.
"We laughed about falling asleep at 3pm in the afternoon."
That's called old people nap number two.
Hi Tia, thank you. That same part choked me up and I welled up with tears when Myles said that about Alex. Great couple.
Mike - number 2? Okay I guess I've got to catch up!
Well that sounds like a fantastic time except the part of your dad ((hugs)). Beautiful pictures!
Post a Comment