Thursday, September 5, 2013

Some Random depressing thoughts.-

Not feeling like myself of late.
Kind of depressed....oh not the big dark place I lived in years ago when dark ugly thoughts entered my head.
No not that depressed, just off my game I guess you'd say.

In other randomness....

Tuesday I have to have a small little surgery on the inside of my bottom lip.
I have this cyst thingy that is getting bigger. 
It didn't bother me but it's grown and now it is bothersome.
I feel it all the time and it is ugly!
The dentist said it must be removed. I will have it taken out at 8am on Tuesday and I am told I will have a fat lip for a few days. Great I have to talk on the phone for work. I imagine I will sound like a drunk.
Hell, maybe I should just get drunk and be done with it.

I feel like since I turned 50 all I do is go to the doctors. I don't much care for this.

Speaking of medical issues - they found something on my fathers spine .
His issue is much worse and larger than my little lip that is for sure.

I call my parents once or twice a week and have ever since I moved away 26 years ago.
Dad is funny, he always says hello and then hands the phone to my mom.
He can't chat on the phone. So my mother fills me in on the goings on.
I worry about them and like to keep abreast of all they're doing.
What my mother says and how she says it tells me a lot. 
They are not always the same thing.

She has been telling me this summer that the great big Wal-Mart greeter known as my father has been going to his chiropractor for back pain. 
Mom has the summers off (works in a school) so she told him that they should go to see his "real" doctor while she is off for the summer. Stubborn old coot known as my father said, "Oh no it's getting better and besides the chiropractor told me it would take a while."

Now my father thinks Wal-Mart won't survive without his 85 year old face at the front door.
So he goes to work in a great deal of pain. This man has a work ethic like no other. 
Then it got so bad he was walking with a cane due to the pain of standing.
For God's sake call in sick George!  
But no, the doors will close without him there and he would never ever even think to do that.

Mom is 2 weeks from going back to work at this point. Dad is now in so much pain he can't stand,walk or lay down without excruciating pain.
Mom insists he go see his regular doctor. The doctor insists on an MRI.
The doctor calls them the day after the MRI and says they found a "cyst" on his spine.

I asked mom how do you know it's a cyst and not a tumor or mass? 
"well honey I don't know."

"Mom is it pressing on his nerve? could it be the bulging of a herniated disc? Did you ask the doctor any questions at all?"

"Oh no he knows what he is doing"

ARGH! 
I swear to you all if the Pope or a Doctor told them to drink the Kool-Aid and put on their Nikes they would just blindly do this shit. They drive me bat shit crazy. 

So my fathers doctor tells my parents that Dad needs to see a neurosurgeon and he recommends a doctor.
Mom calls the doctor and they can't get in until Sept 9th. 
(at this point in time that is just over 2 friggin' weeks away)

Mom calls to keep me abreast of what is taking place up there.
I ask calmly even though I know the answer, "When you made the appointment did you tell them how much pain dad is in? I mean he's no longer going to work. That is a sign of how much pain he is in. He is taking drugs. We all know that means he is in excruciating pain. They may have tried harder to get him in sooner than 2 weeks from now if you had asked"

She tells me that "they know this Peg". 
"How the hell do they know this if you didn't tell them?"
She does not mention this to them. She does not press them on this or tell them to call if a cancellation opens something up sooner for them.  Nope she says nothing. 
My parents believe a doctor's word is God like. They never ask questions they just do whatever they are told like sheep. 

So now my mom is complaining that she will have to take off work because "my damn father" wouldn't go to the doctor this summer when she had time off.

Honestly I listen to my parents and I wonder, Will I be like this? 
Will I get angry like this at Rick all the time?
 Will I blindly do whatever anyone in authority tells me to do?"
Does this come with age? I sure as hell hope not.

My step mom is a great deal younger than my dad, 14 years I believe.
So she is pretty spry and a young 71 at that. Dad, not so much. He will be 86 in February.
They used to seem like the same age when Dad was 42 and they got married, but now not so much. You can see the age difference now a great deal. 

Rick and I are only 9 months apart in age. He being older of course. :-)
So we will be deteriorating at the same time. Kid-less and deteriorating together. 
Should be a helluva ride huh?

12 comments:

PorkStar said...

So sorry to hear about all you are going through... but look at it on the bright side...

Uhm......

Okay then, I will stop by tomorrow and check on ya.

:)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Ah Porkstar, but just think of all those white lab coats. Since reading you today I may not look at my doctors or my dads docs ever the same again!

LL Cool Joe said...

I feel like you do, my parents are in their eighties and spend most of their time in pain and at the doctors. I keep thinking if this is what we both have to look forward to in old age I'm not sure I want to live that long. It sounds awful. Saying that my mother-in-law is nearly 80 fit as a fiddle and loving life. It all depends on your health I suppose.

Julie H said...

My in-laws are the same way and they are in their early 80's. The doctors send my father in law for all kinds of tests for "check ups" which wipe him out for weeks. I'm like just let the poor old man watch his CNN and leave him be dang. He's got so much equipment in his chest he's more likely to die trying to drive to the dr's office (shouldn't EVEN be driving) than to have a heart attack.

Ms. A said...

Sorry about your lip. Good thing you are getting it taken care of. Perhaps the anticipation will be worse than the actuality of having it done and over with.

Wishing your Dad the best of luck with his back. I'm not one that believes doctors are Gods, even the really good ones.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Julie, sometimes at that age it's best to be left alone if they want that.

Cora - me neither. I think it's a generational thing. My lip is no big deal. Just an inconvenience and money. My Dad, well that's another story. I called him today - he sounds so awful. Hopefully they will be able to relieve him of the pain. Have a good weekend

mamahasspoken said...

Sorry to hear about your dad and your lip.
I think a big part of his pain is standing on that concrete floor of Wallieworld for however long his shift is. I know all my back issues started after I worked retail for a few years (for extra money)and now I wish I had never done it! BUT at least your stepmom isn't saying for him to wait until NEXT summer ;o)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Bonnie, good point about mom. :-)

Mike said...

I don't know how your post snuck by my list but it did.

'then hands the phone to my mom'

I already do this to my daughter. I can talk to her about 2 minutes and I've said all I need to say. Her mother and her can go on for over an hour.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mike - Exactly! After he hands the phone to mom we talk for a long time. But I know it means a lot to him that I call.

Great Thoughts said...

I like that - deteriorating together!!

Carma Sez said...

sorry to hear about your dad :-(

my son had the same issue with a cyst on his inner lip about 5 years ago. It had a special name to it but I can't remember it now. this brought back memories. very odd.

hope your lip has healed well