Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Not Fair is It?

I had a woman call today to discuss having us advertise on her website. (well the site she works for)
We have a free listing on the site but we didn't choose to do more than free on this particular site.

She went off on her spiel of why we should commit to advertising on her site for homeowners to find us.

Because I am well aware of such sites as hers, but have never seen or heard anything about her site until she called the first time, I asked her the following question -
"How do you market your site so that homeowners will see all the companies available to them and find you? I was not aware of you until you called so how will my new customers find us there?"

She tells me, "We are word of mouth and we'd like to keep it that way."

She went off rambling about verticals etc. Honestly my head was still on her line, “we are word of mouth and wish to keep it that”

I politely stopped her and said, "Allison, you just told me that you don't feel the need to advertise your service because you have word of mouth business and you like it that way. We have a great deal of that type of business as well and we are booked 3 weeks in advance. So, if I were to use your theory I too would like to keep it that way, save my money, and I would have no need for your services."

SILENCE....CRICKETS.....She didn’t say anything and I finally asked if she was still there.

She then began to fumble and talk about what she REALLY meant to say was they don't wish to compete against the pinterest, facebooks, etc.
Basically she was back tracking and it was not working.

Seriously I couldn't find a sales job and this numbnut is working?

13 comments:

Arnebya said...

So you know I want Rick to help us redo our powder room and kitchen, right? THIS IS SO ON TOPIC.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Arnebya - did you find us on that website?? :-)

Mike said...

You hit her upside the head with logic and she went down for the count.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mike - I hope she learned her lesson. But I'm sure she got off the phone and called me a bitch instead of hearing me.

Carolyn said...

It shocks me sometimes when people say certain things that just dig themselves into their own hole. I mean I work in advertising. Why in the world would she say that they are word of mouth?! lol

Ms. A said...

Ha! She dug her own grave on that one and you threw the dirt on top of her! Bet she doesn't make that blunder again.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Carolyn- damn good question !!

Cora - i truly hope so. I didn't just say it to not buy from her. I really hoped she got it.

Bilbo said...

Looks like the chlorine in the gene pool needs recharging.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Bill - great line!!

mamahasspoken said...

I was going to say she must have rode the short bus to school, then I saw Bill's response. Now it seems redundant.........

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Bonnie....redundant perhaps but funny!
I love that phrase!

Jenny said...

Some of the sales logic they give them in scripts is really hard to follow.

I'm glad to hear you sounding more perky!

Perhaps it's the grapes!

Carma Sez said...

HA! It is always fun to present a challenge like this knowing the other party is unable to weasel around it :D