Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Crazy Ass People...(update below)

It was such a long night.
Business has been crazy busy. This is a good thing.
But that wasn't the problem.

Let me go back a few days.....
Rick gave a woman an estimate for new countertops for her kitchen.
She made her choice and we ordered it.
We then gave her an installation date.

Now this woman is certifiable crazy.
She says the weirdest shit and most of it I don't believe is even close to the truth.
But we all know those types who lie to themselves and honestly believe the shit they spew. One of the things I found funny was when she called to make this first appointment and she tells me what she was looking for she told me she was the "GC" (general contractor) 
I knew she wasn't because a "GC" doesn't refer to him or herself as that. Also she didn't use the correct words for items or processes. I thought this was her first job or she was the homeowner pretending to be a GC or just nuts.

She finally gets to the part of her rambling where she tells me what she is looking for. When we talked about countertop services she didn't know the difference between Formica, solid surface or stone. C'mon your contractor would know this.
She should be referring to herself as the project manager but even that is a stretch.
After more of her ramblings I figure out she is the homeowner that thinks that title she gave herself is impressive.

The more she talked the more I knew she was nuts.
She told me about nerve problems in her neck and went on and on about how painters and dry wall men are all drunks. She thinks it's the fumes.
(if that were true Rick would be in AA)
Who tells someone all this shit when making an appointment? Crazy people that's who.
I have never called for a service and told them anything more than what was asked.
My plumber, countertop installer doesn't need to know anything about my life except for the need of their services and my ability to pay them. Do you agree?

She went through these stories while I only half listened and worked on the computer.
I continued to try to bring the conversation around to the issue at hand - her countertops.
Finally we set an appointment for the installation. But not before I had to hear why that time worked for her. She had to pick up her kids.
(And we all know how a general contractor would tell me this.)
She just doesn't want them to walk 4 blocks from the bus stop she explained.
(oh for goodness sakes, now I am assuming they are probably fat kids who need to walk and she said they were 14 and 16) 
Seriously who cares why you choose that time. Just say a time woman so I can book this!

The solid surface countertops were ordered. Rick would be doing all the fabrication and then installing it on this set date. The countertops arrived but without the adhesive. 
Great so their mess up is going to make me pay the price with this woman.

I call the company immediately and they tell us that they do not have it in stock and it will have to be ordered. WTH?  Why wouldn't you have that in your inventory?  Why didn't you share that with us when ordered? If you have a certain color slab wouldn't you have the color adhesive that goes with the slab too? Since you have to pack both in an order wouldn't you have noticed this at that time?
They go hand in hand so having only one doesn't make sense to me.
Well it was what it was and we had to deal with it.  Now I had to come up with a plan B.

I ask that they be sent over night. (additional $85)  They said they could once they get it.
They were not sure when they would receive the order.
I asked if we could cut out the middle man.
I suggested that,"I can pay you now but could you have the other company send it directly to us to make this faster."  They said no to that idea.
I realize they don't want me to the see the mark up so I suggested that they have the orginal company send it without an invoice directly to me and she could invoice me showing paid since I'm paying for it now. I was so fine with that if we could just get it faster. I know they make a profit it's okay. We all do for heavens sake. I just need it NOW. But she still said no.

Okay now I was worried.  We certainly do not want to have to tell this nut job that her counters can't be installed due to this companies fuck up. I have had to endure her constant yammering of this date and that date and she is firing this person and that person etc.
Oiy Vay!
I was told by the company that they would try to send them to me overnight once they received them.
I now knew I would have to call Ms. Nut Job to tell her there may be an issue if we can't get this in time.
Rick felt strongly that it was important to call her for a plan B just in case this didn't all fall into place. I told him, "then you do it."
He laughed and told me that was what he paid me for. Really? I get paid?

I called her and explained the situation.
I was hoping it would be here in time but it may not. Since we are completely booked until July 10th we needed to make another day work, even if it was a Sunday. We'll make it work.
I gave her some options. (I was moving other people and inconveniences them as well)

Well she went nuts. I am firing people left and right she screams at me.
She went on a tirade for 10 solid minutes. The needle in her neck for nerve root pain.
"It hurt so much" she whined. I would try to interupt to bring us back to the issue at hand. She wouldn't shut up. I half listened. Same ole story about her drunk painter who hasn't finished and it's been a month. Well then hire a professional and not some guy you got at the 7-11 standing outside asking for work who doesn't speak English and you are paying him practically nothing.  You get what you pay for you knucklehead. But I don't say that.
I pretend I am listening until she takes a breath. I then say quickly, "let's pick another date and we will continue to strive for Wednesday. It's not set in stone that we can't do this Ms. Nut Job, we just want to have a plan B."
She exhales and laughs. Yes, she now laughs! 
"Oh, Okay then let's do that."  she says all happy. 

OMG!
She is Sybil.

I continue to watch the UPS tracking and it was finally updated saying the adhesive was to be arriving yesterday afternoon.  I was ecstatic.
At 5pm we still did not have this. I see online that it states we have it but we don't.
I called UPS. They tell us it was left on the porch art 4:38p.
I explained that was why I called. I saw that but it was not left there. 
After 2 hrs of investigation too long to type it all here, we found it at a home on our street. The numbers to our home are 43535, it was left at 43635.  Great.

Rick hightailed it up there and picked it up.
He worked on the countertops until 11pm last night so that they could be installed today. They look beautiful.
The edging is gorgeous and damn I hope she is happy. 
The poor guy had a very long day. (up at 5am and in bed at 11:30p and up at 4:45a again)

This morning he has 2 other jobs before installing her countertops this afternoon at 2pm.
I pray all goes well. Something tells me there will be an issue. Just a gut feeling.
As he was leaving this morning I gave him a kiss and told him, "Good Luck"
He said, "Yeah, maybe I'll get fired." And he smiled.
I don't blame him one bit.
______________________________________________________
UPDATE:  Apparently she was miserable (surprise!) and Rick gave her her money back.
He couldn't stand another minute of her whining and bitching.
"Oh now that I see the counters this big I am not sure I like these."
She chose these white on white countertops and now they weren't what she wanted
And apparently this complaining went on and on and on until Rick lost it.
She wanted to pick something else out and not expect to pay anything more.
Not on your life.
So he removed the countertops he just installed.
He lifted them and brought them out to his work vehicle and said that he would prefer to give her the money back that she gave as a deposit than work with her.
She stood there with her mouth open and accepted the money. She said nothing.
He got in his van and called me. (at least her found something to shut her the hell up!)
He apologized to me. What the hell for, was my response.  She was a lunatic.
I also reminded him this was the good part of owning the company he doesn't have to take any job he doesn't want. The money wasn't worth the aggrevation of this person.

You know there is a reason you have all the samples at your home for weeks. Then you make a choice and you sign a contract. It states you have chosen this color and it is now yours etc. So while he could have fought this he just didn't want to be around her another minute. He has never ever walked away from an ugly situation before. He always sucks it up and makes them happy. To be honest with you I am happy he did walk.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Somethings tells me she will not be happy no matter what!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Queen - oh i know! I can't wait until I hear from him - i will update!

Mike said...

It's things like this that helped me get out of the home handyman business. (after I had retired from the phone company) It just wasn't worth the aggravation.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mike - that's wonderful if one can afford to retire. :-) We aren't those people unfortunately.

mamahasspoken said...

What the Queen Cleo said.
I think she is one of those people who is never happy, and lonely because no one likes to be around someone who is always unhappy.....

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Bonnie - she said she was divorced. Imagine that? like i said she told me more than i needed to know. unhappy, bitter, whiny ass entitlement wench. Oops, did i say that?

Julie H said...

Good luck! This reminds me of the stories my husband tells all the time. He can tell when someone comes in the shop where he works if they are going to be a problem child and will try to talk them out of getting work done there lol.

flask said...

i guess i'm a crazy ass person.

i tell the guys who work on my hose way more than strictly necessary.

i tell them things like "i made some nice cream caramels. here's a bag for each of you." and "i baked you some apple bread."

i also say stuff like "wow, brick tongs! those are so cool! can i take a picture of you with your work?" "that forklift sure is cute!"

difference is, i guess, i the happy kind of crazy ass person.

Anonymous said...

what a headache! glad it's over with, so you can wait for the next nut job (snicker)... JK.

Bilbo said...

I have a similar problem, although I work in words and not countertops. Everyone thinks he's the greatest editor since ... well ... whoever the greatest editor was. I once worked for a fellow who absolutely had to change something in anything you gave him. He once made a bazillion changes in a document we sent him and then, when he ran out of things to change (including some he'd changed back to the original version), he rejected the final product because we'd loaded the paper in the printer tray wrong, and if you held the document up to the light, you could see that the watermark was upside down! I'll tell you the rest of the story at our next get-together ...