Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Heading North

I'm a glutton for punishment so I am heading north in winter.
I haven't seen my father in a year and he's not getting any younger.
Since we can't go up there for the holidays I am making a quick trip up north for the weekend. I'll be leaving early Friday morning.

While I want to see everyone I admit I really need to see my Dad.
It's important to see him while he's alive and not regret not going after he's gone you know?

My dad continues to work at Wal-Mart as a greeter at age 85. (okay 8 weeks shy of 85)
He hasn't been feeling tip top of late but he will never miss work.
I swear he thinks that the place will collapse without him there.
(there's the missing work ethic of people today)
Then again on some days I think that little job is what gets him up in the morning.
A feeling of purpose and a place to be. Retirement never really sat well for my father.
He didn't have hobbies except for golf. He hurt his shoulder and after that he couldn't play much. So aside from cocktails there isn't a lot of things he likes to do.
Once his favorite brother died and all his friends had passed he really has seemed like he didn't know what to do with himself.
In that sense Wal-Mart has been a blessing for him.
But some times I just wish he would or could take it easy. 

My mom has already booked me solid. I have a schedule whether I want it or not.
Sometimes when I go up to my hometown I don't tell them for a few days so I can visit friends and see others outside of my family. But it will be a whirlwind trip this time with family, family, family.

I will either come home with a lot of fun stories or I'll be writing from my rehab facility for alcohol issues. Either way it's blog fodder.

I am picking up my niece in Pittsburgh. She is in grad school there. 
I will be picking her up from work and then we'll continue north to Erie PA for a cold weekend.  My mom has called in the sisters and nieces and we will be drinking and baking cookies together on Saturday. Now in all seriousness this can be a lot of fun or this could go terribly awry.  I am praying for the first one.  You just never know though what will happen.

In the mean time I can now lift my arms again. Yep, just in time to shovel in some chocolate right? 

p.s. I went to the gym this morning at 4:50am. I can't believe I'm doing this either. My arms better be rockin' by memorial day damn it.

11 comments:

Carolyn said...

Hope you have a great trip. Baking cookies sounds so fun!! I want it! :)

PS i'm happy your sticking with the gym. It'll become a normal routine before you know it.

mamahasspoken said...

It sounds fun to me, but just in case, you might want to stop and get a pint or two or three of some egg nog to help ;o)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Carolyn, thanks.
i hope you are correct on the 2nd part.

Bonnie - oh i have already packed my bottles of wine. :-)

Mike said...

Maybe you can just go see your Dad at Walmart and then go party at a hotel.

regan said...

Hey! 4:50 am is still the middle of the freakin night! What the hell!?! Yeah, you'd better end up with sleeveless-worthy arms!

Ms. A said...

Have a safe trip... there are idiots on the road!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mike don't think that thought hasn't crossed my mind!

Regan - ah my dog gets me up daily at 5:30 so it wasn't a whole lot earlier.

Cora -"there are idiots on the road!"
and in the sky, on the tracks, in the mall......next door....
:-)

Carma Sez said...

First, are you freakin' insane to be heading up north at this time of year??? Secondly, I love your dad already hearing he is a dedicated walmart greeter...

Bilbo said...

When you go through Pittsburgh, wave to my family. I'm following the arm thing with great interest, long having been an admirer of the female arm ... I'm sure you'll be rockin' by Memorial Day (in a good way).

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Carma- do you know until he got a job there i had never been inside a walmart?

Dear Bill, If you have been following this arm "adventure" then you know I am unable to lift my arms and wave to your family. But I will be sure to honk and nod. :-) im sorry- best i can do right now!

Julie H said...

I hope you have a good time! Don't off any annoying sisters while you're there ;)