Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Read Any Good Books Lately?

I read the book The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake over the course of my mini vacation.
I went for this book first because I have never read anything by this author so diving into this uncharted territory was a bit thrilling for me.

I have such mixed emotions about this book.
Knowing that a 9 yr old could taste the emotions of her mom who baked her birthday cake is an intriguing premise. In fact to me it was a great premise but it fell flat for me.

This book is like that car accident, I should look away, but I am really curious to see what is around that bend. 
I couldn't put it down yet when Rick asked me if this was a good book I said I wouldn't say good exactly......and I just let that comment wander because I didn't know and still don't know how to answer that. 

This book puzzles me more than anything and I kept thinking it would get better and as the young Rose aged it would be more evolved.  That never happened.
The writing was very odd to me as well.  At times I would have to reread a page or paragraph because it was written in a way that felt like it was a rambling convesation with no quotation marks.  Maybe that was just me but it was very bothersome to me.

The story is from Rose's point of view from age 9 to adulthood.
She and her family who are so distant from one another and dsyfunctional.
They make the Jacksons look normal.
Year after year there is no joy in this young woman's life and no one seems to notice her at all.  They all lead different lives yet reside under the same roof.

To me it was like the author had a great premise about a young girl who could taste feelings from a senistive point of view to a work of science fiction.  It lost all the sensitve points and you were left dangling as though the author didn't know what to do with it all at the end.
I was left scratching my head. 

I realize that tasting the emotions of whoever cooked or baked the food is a bit sci-fi but I felt it had the possiblity of going to a sensitive psychological place.  The family was never addressed or the lack of family that was surrounding her. She went through life on her own but it was never addressed why her mother or father just ignored the goings on in the house.

The ending was so damn bizarre.  True science fiction and with no emotion. Very odd.
I read it twice to be sure I understood what they were trying to say because the author sure didn't spell it out.  So may things to me were left dangling.

The best thing I can say about the book is the premise had such promise.
Would I recommend it?  Probably not.  But then again it's a big hit and best seller so maybe I'm just missing something.

Anyone read this one and love it?

5 comments:

Raquel's World said...

I haven't and thanks to your review I won't waste my time.

R.H. Ducky said...

i started reading a book, like forever ago, and things have been so crazy that i haven't finished it yet...which is unfortunate because it seemed like it was pretty good. if i can stop partying long enough to finish it i'll let you know how it is ;)

Writing Without Periods! said...

I was going to download this book, but now I don't think so. Thanks for the review.
Happy weekend,
mary

Tammie said...

its funny because i think i want to read this book even more after your review.

i dont really have high hopes for it, but im so intrigued by it.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I'll mail it to you Tammie. Be on the look out.